brainchasm 0 Newbie Poster

Server is as follows:

gig of RAM, running Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.47 (Mandrake Linux/6.3.92mdk) mod_perl/1.99_09 Perl/v5.8.1 PHP/4.3.2 JRun/4.0 Sun-ONE-ASP/4.0.0

Here's the problem:

I use the server-status script a lot to watch what's happening on the webserver in a pseudo-realtime manner. There are 4 normal states for any given request to the server - S (Starting Up), W (Writing), K (Keepalive), and C (Closing).

Whenever I turn on the coldfusion server, it does its job (parsing cfm pages, having the admin website come up) and seems to run fine. However, eventually it will cause multiple requests on the webserver to sit in the S(Starting Up) status interminably. The webserver won't release those slots, and it won't open new ones, because S(Starting Up) is a transitive state and it should close out fairly quickly.

Bottom line is, coldfusion is making my Apache server run out of slots.

The files affected seem to usually (90% of the time) be in /var/www/icons/ and usually are .png files. This is where the OS, flag, and browser icons live that various web-based apps use.
When I stop the coldfusion server, the S(Starting Up) slots immediately release, and the server is back to normal.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. The product runs beautifully otherwise, and I would hate for this to be a sticking point and have to search for alternatives.

BC