5:18:22 PM [Apache] Problem detected!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Port 80 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
5:18:22 PM [Apache] or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Problem detected!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Port 443 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
5:18:22 PM [Apache] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
5:18:22 PM [Apache] or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Attempting to start Apache app...
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Status change detected: running
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Status change detected: stopped
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
5:18:22 PM [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
5:18:22 PM [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
5:18:22 PM [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
5:18:22 PM [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
5:18:22 PM [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
5:18:22 PM [Apache] entire log window on the forums

Can anyone guide/solve for this error

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Are you sure nothing else is running on those ports? I usually get this kind of problems when I'm running Skype or League of Legends (which uses Punkbuster, which operates on the same port) while starting Apache.

(Looks like a port problem, check this line: 5:18:22 PM [Apache] Port 443 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!. In Windows 8 (and 7?) you can check which process has PID 4 by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL, going to "Details" and finding the process with PID 4)

I haven't installed skype or else any messenger in system. But still I am getting this error.

Did you check which process is the one with PID 4?

Yes it is the same. I shall write the complete error kindly check.

Error:

1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Problem detected!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Port 80 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Problem detected!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Port 443 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
1:06:52 PM  [Apache]    or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
1:06:52 PM  [mysql]     XAMPP MySQL is already running on port 3306
1:06:52 PM  [main]  The Tomcat module is disabled
1:06:52 PM  [main]  Starting Check-Timer
1:06:52 PM  [main]  Control Panel Ready
1:07:05 PM  [filezilla]     Attempting to start FileZilla app...
1:07:05 PM  [filezilla]     Status change detected: running
1:20:54 PM  [Apache]    Status change detected: running
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    Status change detected: stopped
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies, 
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    If you need more help, copy and post this
1:21:03 PM  [Apache]    entire log window on the forums
1:06:52 PM [Apache] Problem detected!
1:06:52 PM [Apache] Port 80 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
1:06:52 PM [Apache] Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
1:06:52 PM [Apache] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
1:06:52 PM [Apache] or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port

This means that the process with Process ID 4 is operating on a port Apache is configured to use. You can either reconfigure Apache to use another port (but god I wouldn't know how :p), or press ctrl + alt + delete, go to the "Details" tab and check which process has Process ID 4, and halt that process (this is in windows 7/8).

I have no idea why Apache is emitting this error, though:

1:21:03 PM [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
1:21:03 PM [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
1:21:03 PM [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
1:21:03 PM [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
1:21:03 PM [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
1:21:03 PM [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
1:21:03 PM [Apache] entire log window on the forums

I cant end that particular process as it is using the system as user name and pid is 4. the description for that username process ius NT Kernal & System.
If we end the process then it would be restart as it is NT Kernel and System.

I don't think it will give you any more info, but have you checked the "Netstat" window of XAMPP? (It's on the right side in the control panel and might give you some more information).

Also, I have no idea if it might work, but if (in your XAMPP control panel) you click the "Config" button for your Apache server, you can open "httpd.conf". In that file, there's a line that says "Listen 80" (for me). Maybe you could change the port to something other than 80 and see if that works. I know it's not the 443 port that you're changing, while that IS the one that is causing you troubles, but I can't find where the 443 port is coming from myself, so I wouldn't know where to look to change it.

For the rest I don't think I can help you :(.

Thanks for your help, tried implement the same. Like I had changed the port numbers which are not existing 8088 and 444. but it is the same. I am getting an error: appache shutdown unexpectedly. This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies, improper privileges, or a shutdown by another method.

Have you tried reinstalling XAMPP? Maybe in another folder? Run it with admin privileges?

Yes I had reintalled the XAMPP again. And also tried to install in differ folder and drive. Everything running with the admin privilages.

Sorry man then I have no idea what else you could do :\ . I hope someone else can help..

I had faced this problem in win7. Now i run it as administrator, now it is working.... :D

I fixed this in Windows 7 by stopping the Web Deployment Agent Service.

I have solved this issue (at least for me). And i used a few ideas in this forum and eventually fixed the issue. So I'm posting to try to help out Mannava (and anyone else).
So Purevouge provided a link:
Click Here

in the link using Windows 7 you open a CMD prompt and type in command: net stop was /y

Well I got an ACCESS IS DENIED message.. but the description message of what was denied lead me right to the solution...
"World Wide Web Publishing Service"

So then I went and checked out which Windows Service might be running fitting that message...
So open up the Run Dialog Box (press keys Win+R)
.. then type: services.msc

I then scrolled down to:
World Wide Web Publishing Service
Double clicked on it and clicked STOP

And Voila my XAMPP with Apache is now running.

Web Deployment Agent Service is not in my services.msc

Im experiencing Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0 problem in my windows 8.1 :(

Stopping World Wide Web Publishing Service solved my problem.

Thanks

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! All the sudden XAMPP stopped working and I uninstalled and re-installed MULTIPLE TIMES. On my Windows 8.1 Machine, PID 4 was "System." I used the Apache Config httpd.config, as you said, and just changed "80" to "120" and saved. Works great! I so appreciate it!

hi guys im having the same problem, im new to this so i dont know really how to resolve this problem

Hi danthecardman,
this solution works on my 8.1-installation after HOURS of investigation!
Thanks very much for this!
John49

try to :

1. Open up the services screen (Right click "Computer" from either your desktop or start menu, then "Manage". Once the window has opened, expand "Services and Applications" and select "Services").
  2. On the services screen there should be one called "Web Deployment Agent Service", if this is running, double click it and stop the service.
  3. Finally, change the startup type to "Disabled".

Now if you try to run apache on port 80, it should start fine!

If apache not worked currectly , do it :

Try to repair the file using the SFC utility.
Open the Start Menu and type in CMD. Right-click on the CMD program at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'. When the Command Window opens type in SFC /SCANNOW

Don't forget the space after SFC. This should repair any corrupted system files and let you know if there are any that can't be repaired.

:) I hope this problem will solved for u !

Kindly help to resolve below problem: i ran it as admin but could not resolve.

9:46:24 PM [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
9:46:24 PM [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
9:46:24 PM [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
9:46:24 PM [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
9:46:24 PM [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
9:46:24 PM [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
9:46:24 PM [Apache] entire log window on the forums

11:04:06 AM [Apache] Status change detected: stopped
11:04:06 AM [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
11:04:06 AM [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
11:04:06 AM [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
11:04:06 AM [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
11:04:06 AM [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
11:04:06 AM [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
11:04:06 AM [Apache] entire log window on the forums
//what can i do to resolve that prob//

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.