In order to further (artificially) inflate the number of Windows 10 installations, Microsoft is now showing the following pop-up on some users' computers:

Screenshot-2015-12-16-at-12.53_.29-1200x755_.png

And even more heavy-handed, some users are getting the following:

CWPDV8CUwAEhcpT-1.png

Smart users will realize that they can always click X and just close the window. Smart users are also aware of the awesome GWX Control Panel which, until recently, allowed users to permananently disable the Windows 10 upgrade notices. Microsoft is now silently resetting the AllowOSUpgrade setting as often as once a day. So even if you have stated that you do not want the upgrade and have used GWXControlPanel to specifically block it, Microsoft's response is still f**k you, you're getting it anyway.

Microsoft has also confirmed that early in 2016 they will be changing the status of Windows 10 Upgrade from Optional (which at one time was "accidentally" defaulted to selected) to Recommended which means that users who have opted to apply updates automatically will get Windows 10 whether they want it or not.

Recommended Answers

All 45 Replies

PS: Dave Barry once wrote a column discussing Microsoft in which he showed a fake popup stating

You have just hit the space bar. Would you like to make Internet Explorer your default browser?

I thought it was funny at the time. Now, not so much.

This auto-update to Win10 almost fubar'd my brother-in-law's computer. He called me for tech support, and we were able to restore his Win7 system, and save his data... Bad Microsoft! Bad Kitty! Stop pooping on the keyboard!

I can understand their thinking. They want developers to create universal apps but they won't until there is a large enough W10 base. Understanding is not the same as agreeing.

LAst time I checked, these were the Win7/8 updates that were doing the Win10 update nagging. You can remove them by running the following (copy paste into .bat or .cmd file and run it)

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2977759 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart /quiet

Unfortunately, once M$ reclassifies Windows 10 as recommended rather than optional, Windows 10 will be downloaded (6 gig or so - not sure) then installed. A little harder to undo than one of the above.

Unsure if this'll work but I'm attempting to block the upgrade on an old netbook by restricting permissions on the hidden folder that Microsoft will attempt to create for the download, which I believe is C:\$Windows.~BT

Any thoughts on a better way to permanently block this upgrade?

commented: Install Linux. Only updates are the ones YOU want! +13

Not sure if this will work but I wonder what would happen if you created a file named C:\$Windows.~BT and then restricted it. I know that if you try to create a folder withan existing file name you get A subdirectory or file xxxxx already exists. I have my Windows Updates set to notify for download and notify for install and I have to approve each patch manually.

I don't think MS would make it recommended....or force it on users. There's too many builds with older hardware/software that will lack drivers and/or updates to work with 10.

I'm think class-action lawsuit if a forced win10 update broke my legacy video card or something like that.

They already "accidentally" set the Windows 10 optional update as selected by default, effectively forcing it on those users who had set Windows Updates to be done automatically. You may want to read here).

There's too many builds with older hardware/software

The Windows 10 upgrade is only for machines already running Windows 7 or Windows 8.x. Supposedly, any hardware running on those machines will run under Windows 10. I have an older machine running XP because I have devices unsupported under Windows 7. That machine would not be automatically upgraded (even if I was foolish enough to set updates as automatic).

commented: There are machines, like mine, that nicely run Windows 7 but are to antiquated to run Windows 10 +0

True.... but I'm also thinking about certain software, expecially from smaller vendors or out of business vendors, that may have issues with Win10. Hell, the bank I left many years ago still ran it daily Balancing applications on a 16 bit DOS machine... simply because it worked flawlessly so there was never a need to upgrade away from it.

As far as I know, Microsoft's response to non-compliant software is to just continue running it in a virtual machine. When I retired in 2008 we were still running an application in a virtual Windows 98 machine. (I was willing to do a rewrite but nobody wanted to give me the time.)

Except on my work Win7 machine, I ONLY run Windoze in a Linux virtual machine! Fortunately, there are few programs I use (and those rarely these days since most vendors are getting pretty savvy about supporting Linux) that require Windows. The one Windows software I can't live without, Sparx Enterprise Architect, runs flawlessly in Wine on Linux. They have spent a lot of cycles making sure of that, because they cannot afford a cross-platform port.

I came across a python script for Windows 7 called GWX Control Panel that allows you to disable the GWX application and also disables the ability for Windows upgrade your OS as part of your routine updates. I am providing links for PC World article that discusses the changes to Microsoft's update policy and to the Control Panel:

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3012613/windows/microsoft-prepares-for-massive-windows-10-upgrade-strategy.html

I provided a link to GWX Control Panel in the first post in this thread, however, the author has stated that Microsoft has created a workaround for this app that keeps "undoing" the protection. As of two days ago he was unable to provide a solution.

You my recall Windows Update KB 3035583 which led to many unwanted Windows 10 upgrades and many more unwanted nags. You may want to block KB 3123862 as well, at least until more information is available. The description associated with the patch reads "The update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10."

Looks suspiciously like Microsoft trying to force more Windows 10 updates.

According to Woody Leonhard, forced update KB 3135173

Do you use IrfanView, Acdsee, Photoshop Express, or Elements? The default photo app may have been reset to -- you guessed it -- the Windows Photos app. Music? Video? Microsoft may have swooped down and changed you over to Microsoft Party apps, all in the course of last week's forced cumulative update KB 3135173 .

The update also resets your default browser to Edge.

Wow - who came in here and voted down every comment? Some MS fanboy I suppose

commented: Someone with a heavy hand. +5
commented: Add some upvotes for balance. +8
commented: nice +0

In fairness they only downvoted about 70% of the posts, so maybe not totally convinced by their own fanboyism :)

Even though I have GWX Control Panel installed and actively blocking, and even though I have Windows Updates set to "check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install", and even though I have hidden the offending KB updates, Microsoft has, once again, installed the "Get Windows 10 Update" app on my system. I was able to uninstall it, yet again, with

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet

but, really, should I have to keep doing this? It may be that the only way to prevent this Microsoft bullshit is to uninstall my legally purchased (OEM) Windows 7 OS and replace it with a pirated version that does not qualify for update.

I found a way to stop it. But if I publish it, then Microsoft will find a way around it.

Microsoft does not seem to care that every upgrade it makes causes the real-time hardware people need to quit working.

It's time to ban upgrades. Operating systems and software should not be constantly changing. There should be a law.

My idea of the ideal computer has the operating system in ROM so it can't be changed or upgraded.

So, a Commodore 64 then? You do realize that there is a lot of wiggle room between "carved in stone" and "change for the sake of change"?

Actually the Tandy Color Computer 3 and the Tandy 3000 were closer to what I have in mind. Both have operating systems in ROM. The Color Computer 3 was the first home computer able to run a form of UNIX (called OS-9). And the Tandy 3000 ran MS-DOS 6.1. It could run Windows 3.1 from a floppy disk. Neither had a hard disk. The C: drive was a ROM.

When you are doing scientific research, NO change in the operating system is permitted without having to do an extensive check to make sure the change is benign to your research software (especially if any kind of real-time operation is being controlled by the software). I don't know how many times we found out that a seemingly innocuous change made by Microsoft changed the system timing enough to make the research software malfunction, damaging the experiment.

I am totally sick of the pace of change forced on us by Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers. Nobody can possibly do a valid 10 year study now, let alone a 20-year study. Does Microsoft need that extra money that much??? Or are they taking us back to the early days of IBM renting software to mainframe owners?

As I recall, the Amiga 1000 had a ROMable OS. Perhaps later models as well (I only had the 1000 with a hard drive). During the year I spent in research at the Health Sciences Centre (Winnipeg), the Amiga was the platform of choice for several researchers on the same floor. Projects varied from NASA sub-contracting (capture and collection of biometric data on the vomit comet) to capture and analysis of motor-neuron electrical signals in real time.

The Win10 update is now a recommended upgrade. IF you have automatic updates enabled, you'll be in for a surprise when win 10 is your OS in the morning.

To fix, I disabled Auto updates.
Task manager -> Kill the GWX.exe process
In add/remove programs, look for installed win updates and remove KB3035583
Create a file c:\windows\system32\GWX\GWX.exe file and mark it as read only (you may have to create the file in My Documents and copy it into the GWX folder.
Reboot
Run Disk Cleanup, Select the Advanced system cleanup.
Remove the Temporary File that is 8-9 GB in size (this is the win 10 install crap).
Windows Update - search for updates.
In recommended, uncheck KB3035583 and Hide It.
Reboot 1 last time and you are good to go.

Microsoft appears to mix a security update wtih a nag screen in IE11.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/224420-new-ie11-update-may-sneak-windows-10-upgrade-options-into-security-patch

There's a fine exception in the code for domain logins which everyone seems to agree is to not upset the corporate customers.

Since most don't want to forgo a security patch, my advice is to not use IE11.

According to InfoWorld

If Microsoft's documentation is correct, installing Patch Tuesday's KB 3139929 security update for Internet Explorer also installs a new Windows 10 ad-generating routine called KB 3146449.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.