Hello,

I try to install XAMPP for Linux in Ubuntu (Using Virtual Machine) but I cannot install it since there is this error message:

There has been an error
This installer requires root previleges. Please become superuser before executing the installer.

I already check the previlege, it is administrator. Therefore, it suppose to work, but it doesn't. Why is it?

Recommended Answers

login as a root user then

sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run
sudo ./xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run  
Jump to Post

I just don't particulary like xamp on linux, I'd prefer installing apache mysql and phpmyadmin from the command line.

Jump to Post

iamthwee,could you write it here for more help, if davy_yg agree?

Jump to Post

All 11 Replies

login as a root user then

sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run
sudo ./xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run  
commented: good +14

I just don't particulary like xamp on linux, I'd prefer installing apache mysql and phpmyadmin from the command line.

iamthwee,could you write it here for more help, if davy_yg agree?

I still unable to run the file. There is no such file or directory.

pwd: home/davy

ls: Desktop Documents

I place the file on the desktop

xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run

Every os should have the terminal. Search for 'terminal' in the search bar.

I finally able to install xampp through the terminal. Another problem: how to unzip file in linux? My other installer are in zip file. I also unable to transfer my linux 7-zip installer (in folder) to my Virtual Machine. Another thing is my VM cannot access internet.

I figure the way to unzip file in linux.

Another problem: I have to install Ghostscript - yet, I cannot tranfer my Ghostscript zip file to my VM.

You have to enable shared folder in the options for virtualbox . That you select that folder and choose create transient path or something - can't remember off the top of my head.

ok, I already enable the options and shared my windows folder. Now, how to access the shared folder from my VM - ubuntu?

ok, I am reading this article: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_running9.html

Check point #5:

Mount the Windows share on your Linux system. Enter the following command all on one line.

mount -t smbfs -o username=<Windows system user account>,password=<password> //win2k/docs /mnt/docs

(Substitute the appropriate host name, share and mount point for your systems.)

Supposing I want to share file from windows host: E:\openmeetings to Linux VM Desktop\openmeetings

How to type the code?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.