Hello,

I try to install XAMPP for Linux in Ubuntu (Using Virtual Machine) but I cannot install it since there is this error message:

There has been an error
This installer requires root previleges. Please become superuser before executing the installer.

I already check the previlege, it is administrator. Therefore, it suppose to work, but it doesn't. Why is it?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

login as a root user then

sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run
sudo ./xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run  
commented: good +14
Member Avatar for iamthwee

I just don't particulary like xamp on linux, I'd prefer installing apache mysql and phpmyadmin from the command line.

iamthwee,could you write it here for more help, if davy_yg agree?

I still unable to run the file. There is no such file or directory.

pwd: home/davy

ls: Desktop Documents

I place the file on the desktop

xampp-linux-1.8.3-3-installer.run

Every os should have the terminal. Search for 'terminal' in the search bar.

I finally able to install xampp through the terminal. Another problem: how to unzip file in linux? My other installer are in zip file. I also unable to transfer my linux 7-zip installer (in folder) to my Virtual Machine. Another thing is my VM cannot access internet.

I figure the way to unzip file in linux.

Another problem: I have to install Ghostscript - yet, I cannot tranfer my Ghostscript zip file to my VM.

You have to enable shared folder in the options for virtualbox . That you select that folder and choose create transient path or something - can't remember off the top of my head.

ok, I already enable the options and shared my windows folder. Now, how to access the shared folder from my VM - ubuntu?

ok, I am reading this article: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_running9.html

Check point #5:

Mount the Windows share on your Linux system. Enter the following command all on one line.

mount -t smbfs -o username=<Windows system user account>,password=<password> //win2k/docs /mnt/docs

(Substitute the appropriate host name, share and mount point for your systems.)

Supposing I want to share file from windows host: E:\openmeetings to Linux VM Desktop\openmeetings

How to type the code?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.