I am starting a nonprofit for disabled veterans. The idea is to provide computers, training, and social interaction for disabled veterans who have limited resources for social interaction due to disability. I will be setting up a website for the business and want to have the following features;
Individual user log in
Chat - voice and video
email
Forums
File and video sharing
The ability to expand easily
I am very concerned with cost as I will depend on donations and have a total start up budget of $5000.00. I am concidering using Google apps with for a host as they provide all of the things that I am looking for. Am I on the right track or am I missing something? Is there a better alternative? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am concidering using Google apps with for a host as they provide all of the things that I am looking for.

if Google Apps already provides you with the features you are looking for..then what is the actual concern?

If you had to develop a custom solution, I suspect that you would need quite a bit more funding. It seems based on your description that cost is very important. If you have found a hosted solution that meets your needs and is relatively inexpensive, it sounds to me like the logical solution is to move forward with it. Google Apps is easy to get into and easy to move away from if you decide to go with something else in the future.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.