The 2009 Winter Preview is here!

Though I would be shameful enough watching each one them, eagerly awaited would be:

• Akikan [since I am a harem/romance lover at heart]
  • Asu no Yoichi!
  • Birdy the Mighty Decode:02
  • Tower of Druaga ~Sword of Uruk~

...and the best of them all "Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou".

John A commented: Alright! +17

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Narue would like this, no?

Yes, I think so, and so would Joey. :-)

Hey where is Poken, Digimon and Dragon Ball ;) (just joking)
Are there any sites with English version? ( I tried to learn Japanese, while studying Karate, but then I went for Taekwon-Do :D )

> Are there any sites with English version?

These anime when originally aired in Japan have Japanese voice over and known as RAWS. There are many fan subbing groups out there which add English subtitles to these raw episodes which are known as SUBS. There are also a few dubbing groups out there who dub the raw episodes providing a English voice over.

AFAIK, dubbed anime is far difficult to get than subbed anime. You can get almost all subbed anime out there at Animesuki or at CrunchyRoll and YouTube for online viewing.

Watching subbed anime might take a while to get used to but it's the most convenient of get hold of most of the anime series out there. BTW, even I don't know Japanese and I am an avid anime viewer thanks to subbed anime. :-)

>Akikan [since I am a harem/romance lover at heart]
It's hard to come up with a good harem series. I'll probably watch it anyway because Megumi Toyoguchi is one of the seiyuu.

>Asu no Yoichi!
Ugh. I've got horrible visions of yet another attempt a this cliché. I'll give it the obligatory three episodes to capture my interest if I get bored, but I'm not hopeful.

>Birdy the Mighty Decode:02
I missed the first one, but the premise seems interesting.

>...and the best of them all "Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou".
As a Maria-sama ga Miteru fan, I'll have to disagree with you. ;)

My big hope for the new year's anime is Maria Holic. I see tons of promise, even though I'll likely be disappointed by the "lots of promise, no delivery" pattern.

>dubbed anime is far difficult to get than subbed anime
And it's usually not of the same quality of original Japanese. The best part about raws and subs is that you can enjoy the majority of anime without waiting for it to be licensed in an English speaking country (rare for the good series unless they're stupidly popular) or fan dubbed with decent quality (even more rare).

>BTW, even I don't know Japanese and I am an avid anime viewer thanks to subbed anime. :-)
If you watch enough, you pick up on parts of the language. Also, knowing Japanese to some extent (and Japanese culture even more so) helps to understand the circumstances and more importantly, some of the jokes. ;)

> It's hard to come up with a good harem series.

AFAICR, I have heard you say the same thing in IRC once. Does there even exist a harem series which you like or are you still waiting for an ideal one to come along? ;-)

> As a Maria-sama ga Miteru fan, I'll have to disagree with you.

Hmm..romance genre, interesting. But still Natsume has elements of uniqueness IMO not found in any anime out there.

> My big hope for the new year's anime is Maria Holic.

I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs revamped?

> If you watch enough, you pick up on parts of the language.

Yes, I have started to see that as proved by my feeble attempts at speaking Japanese monosyllables in IRC. :-)

>Does there even exist a harem series which you like or are you still
>waiting for an ideal one to come along? ;-)
Ouran is good. Hana Yori Dango is good. Otoboku is good. I'd probably say Shuffle! is decent too if pressed. ;) There are a few shiny rocks amonst the turds when it comes to the harem genre.

Generally harem series make you so frustrated with the stupid behavior of the characters that you can't keep watching, or they're so full of ecchi that even an undersexed teenager would say "WTF?!".

>I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs revamped?
I'm thinking it'll be more of a darker, angsty Otoboku.

commented: Thanks for the harem recommendations. I'll definitely watch them. +17

> Ouran is good.

Oh yes, I have seen this series, pretty good end; the setting reminds me a bit of Special A. But I would rather prefer a female harem. ;-)

> I'd probably say Shuffle! is decent too if pressed.

Shuffle! might be one of those animes out there which have got extreme ratings; those you like it love it and those who dislike it hate it.

> I'm thinking it'll be more of a darker, angsty Otoboku.

Let's see, it seems to be worth the wait. :-)

I'm still waiting on a second season of Claymore...

>I'm still waiting on a second season of Claymore...
The manga is better. ;)

I've never really been in to comics. I'd rather see the action in motion.

A second season is welcome as long as they don't plan on ruining it like the first one.

A quick useful update: to know the airing date for your favorite ongoing anime, use the AnimeCalendar online service; useful, effective. :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.