Well, I don't intend to write the full list, I'm going to list geeky things I've done (and am proud of), and as for the rest, I'm going to rely on community support.

1. Work for more than a week on a personal (unpaid) project, during all waking hours.
2. Gain a more than unhealthy addiction to coffee, and a vampiric aversion to daylight and human contact (ok, maybe I'm not so proud of that one)
3. Use Linux more than Windows
4. Use two computers at the same time
5. Expect everyone else to, naturally, know what you're talking about
6. Run a localhost webserver to save FTPing time
7. Write a programming language
8. And use it
9. Have more friends that are programming languages/concepts than people
10. Try to conform to W3C guidelines
11. If the wheel isn't rolling, reinvent it
12. Work as a programmer
13. Dream a computer program
14. Start a list of "Geeky things to do before you die"

And some 'geeky' things to do, until you die:

1. Learn something everyday.
2. Don't listen to anyone who thinks they know better than you
3. Listen to people who do know better than you
4. Don't expect everyone to be interested in everything you are
5. Help others; if you know what you're doing.
6. Don't spend too long thinking.
7. Always remember, there's a real world, and it isn't running on an Intel chipset
8. Add more to these lists.

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

i would just wait for my approaching death while listening pop/latin.

Well, I don't intend to write the full list, I'm going to list geeky things I've done (and am proud of), and as for the rest, I'm going to rely on community support.

1. Work for more than a week on a personal (unpaid) project, during all waking hours.
2. Gain a more than unhealthy addiction to coffee, and a vampiric aversion to daylight and human contact (ok, maybe I'm not so proud of that one)
8. And use it
12. Work as a programmer

7. Always remember, there's a real world, and it isn't running on an Intel chipset

When you know your death is near the time is of course less....so how are you gonna do em all in such less time:mrgreen:

When you know your death is near the time is of course less....so how are you gonna do em all in such less time

smoke less and geek faster i guess?

15. Use the word "geek" as a verb

smoke less and geek faster i guess?

then whats the enjoyment of smoking if you will do everything fast.

there's a proverb in my language Hindi that doing one work at a time is better than doing alll of them at once. atleast the work you do once at a time is perfect.(i am not sure if this translation by me is correct, my literature is poor).

I HAVE NEVER SMOKEN, SO SORRY IF I HAVE WRITTEN SOMETHING WRONG IN THE FIRST LINE. TO EVEN CLARIFY THIS I WON'T SMOKE

TO EVEN CLARIFY THIS I WON'T SMOKE

good! you shouldn't, it's bad for you, extremely addictive, and costly.

smoking does keep me awake, alert and concentrated. and I should probably add to that; edgy, skittish, and addicted.

doing one work at a time is better than doing alll of them at once

damn right. but unfortunately not all bosses/managers would agree O_O

atleast the work you do once at a time is perfect

Ah, I love optimism ^_^

There's a similar quote in english.

Oh cool, my literature has started improving.

damn right. but unfortunately not all bosses/managers would agree O_O

If they start agreeing with whatever we say or think....how could they be called bosses.

Hey, this applies to teachers too.

This is a great post-- I relate to so much of it (bolded,numeric choices):

==============================================

8. And use it
12. Work as a programmer

===============================================

Especially 2 and 5: I work from home as a programmer so, hence, I rarely leave the apartment. Why would I? I have everything I need here: girlfriend, computers, pets. I do not like bright sun or Summer days-- I like rain, fog, snow... nighttime. I also smoke; it helps keep me awake and alert while I work and\or game on-line.

Thanks for your post.

sharky_machine

<DELETE>

**Posting Error

16. Solve everyday problems in C:

if((!awake) || (moody))
{
    smoke_sigarette = true;
    health--;
}

I'm a smoker too, drink to much coffee, but I do like sunlight and social contacts:cool:

Regards Niek

That would be 24/7 for several days on end...

all except the coffee, can't stand the stuff.

Some days, especially if you count other OSs... Linux isn't geeky, it's nerdy.
Solaris, AIX, and Guardian are geeky (especially Guardian as hardly anyone has heard of it who hasn't used it).

Only 2?

8. And use it
Try?

12. Work as a programmer
For the last decade...

15. never plan/design a new program, just start typing and see where it will take you.

16. write programs in assembly language. higher-level languages are for wimps.

Ouch! :surprised ;) :)

Haven't we all done a lot of geeky things already...;)

If so, then we all are gonna cross the limits.:)

So if you only fit parts of that profile are you only half as geeky?......or just on your way to being totally geeky.

I think its the second, i've only fullfilled part of the original list, but most of the others i want to do and see myself doing.

As for social interaction. I used to go out alot the more i learn the more intraverted i seem to get. Alot of my friends have no clue what i'm talking about or am interested in most of the time.

15. never plan/design a new program, just start typing and see where it will take you.

Oh yeah, that's always fun, but it doesn't always pertain to future-proofing and/or manageablity... However, good imagination >= good planning

Without planning!? :eek:

So if you only fit parts of that profile are you only half as geeky?......or just on your way to being totally geeky.

I don't think geekyness is measurable, although it could be judged relatively, and I'm sure everyone has a bit of geek inside somewhere...

In a given geeky conversation between 2 people, defined as p1 and p2, and where t is the time since the beginning of that conversation, and [cg] is the geekyness of the conversation in question:

p2{sleepness} = [cg] * t * (p1{geekyness} - p2{geekness})

it can be seen thus, that when two people speak to each other, the less geeky may become lethargic, and possibly confused and irritated as a result. The more geeky will start to become excited, more awake, and end up dramatically demonstrating concepts using everyday objects such as cups and spoons. Should the conversation continue indefinately (which is unlikely as the less geeky will probably either fall asleep, or make an excuse and leave; or the more geeky will have somethine geeky to be getting on with), the more geeky, who we will notate henceforth as the geek++, will add to a new variable, public_geekyness, as shown in the equation below:

p1{public_geekyness} = [gncr] * (p1{geekyness} / p2{geekyness})

(where [gncr] is the ratio of geeky conversations divided by normal conversations, since time of first contact with a person, or group of people)

Hencewith, the more a geeky a person becomes, the less likely they are to HAVE geeky conversations; as a geek brain is often consciously programmed and managed by the geek themselves, and a series of reflected geekyness query functions are usually compiled and executed upon contact with another potential geek.

Thus, the level of geekyness emitted by a geek should reduce relative to the result of those functions, when applied towards a person, or group of people.

The problem for the geek++ then becomes what to say in a conversation, as a geek may or may not have "public interest" knowledge, and speaking geek without speaking normal may increase your public geekyness to a level where people continuosly ask for your help, and percieve that you enjoy giving that help unquestionably and indefinately.

Less geeky people may also find an extremely geeky person unfathomable, disturbing, or at worst; inhuman.

In conclusion; I don't talk much. I smile, I make conversation; but I bite the geeky side of my tongue unless I'm asked a direct question. Sometimes, I wish I could find a load of similar minded people, and we'd have an island called Geekland and a city called Geekville. But hey, I'd probably be bored senseless by the level of geekyness emitted by those with incorectly configured fellow-geek-determinant routines.

Well. I promise I'll never make another post like that here.

Seemingly, Not enough. :) ;)

Okay, how about doing a PhD at the Stanford university and then working at Google ? ;)

"Less geeky people may also find an extremely geeky person unfathomable, disturbing, or at worst; inhuman."

Yes, true. But, perhaps, or usually most definately, they are intimidated. We (nerds, geeks, dweebs, etc) study more, hence, contain more knowledge. This is the fruit of our labors-- reap what you sow. Most people (most Americans, at least, deplore sowing unless they reap cash $$$.) Do not lower your standards. That is "dumbing-down". I am not saying to rudely obliterate someone less learned, but for the World's sake do not forgoe what you possess through your effort or inherantly. Knowledge is priceless and fuels societal evolution. Greek, Roman, Arab, Asian, European, && American society has produced the finest arts, technology, medicine, literature, Military, and government(s). This is our destiny as humans-- the "Geek" leads the charge from behind closed doors.

"But hey, I'd probably be bored senseless by the level of geekyness emitted by those with incorectly configured fellow-geek-determinant routines."

Yes, probably so.

"Well. I promise I'll never make another post like that here."

Are you serious or joking? Yours is a wonderful post.

Okay, how about doing a PhD at the Stanford university and then working at Google ? ;)

No, not working at Google. PhD at Stanford and then working at White Sands or Los Alamos is more like it.

No, not working at Google. PhD at Stanford and then working at White Sands or Los Alamos is more like it.

Yes-- better career choice(s) (or, also, Jet Propulsion Lab, Department of Defense, or Skunkworks)

[IMG]http://www.military-graphics.com/SKUNKWORKS.png[/IMG]

Regards,
sharky_machine

Yes-- better career choice(s) (or, also, Jet Propulsion Lab, Department of Defense, or Skunkworks)

Thanks for letting me know that such Organizations existed..have heard about them for the first time.;)

Looks like Mr. Jwenting works at one of these places...:cheesy:

Of course, I spend alot of time on this stuff, most days..

I have to say I'm not into coffee, but the whole day light thing thats just scary... Get it off my face and back where it belongs.

Not quite got into linux yet I am just way to busy.

How do you think I get anything done?

Of course, why wouldn't they. Unfortunately they never do :(

FTP is very quick so seen as scripts are small is it really worth? But of course for testing...

I write in a programming language, does that count? That is just going beyond the realms of geeky.

8. And use it

I don't have a programming language, what are you talking about?

All the time, my websites would websites would be nothing without them.

I have to say the wheel seems to be working for me at the mo.

12. Work as a programmer

Still a student I have built websites for money though, does that count.

How did you guess?

What do you think this is

If this is the geek version, well, instead of writing a book, write an ebook :)

Appear on Beauty and the Geek, and lose...

Appear on Beauty and the Geek, and lose...

ha, that's gotta top it.

although, surely it's more geeky to win? ;)

Just before I die, as my lungs fill with fluid from swine flu virus, I would take up my laptop and fix bug 1398 in which "pull-down combos of reseller names appear grey as if disabled". Then I would die happy, knowing that I was at least in control of something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.