I think there are too many one time users that make an account and use it to fix a problem or too and then never come back to use their account I think people who just have a quick problem and dont think they will use Daniweb again should be strongly encouraged to sign in and post as a guest.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I tried to do just that last night but it wouldn't let me. I wanted to know if there was room here for total idiots like myself. It seems like most of you are ubergeeks and I want to be one myself but dont know if you guys will tolerate my stupidity. I was born into an age where you had to wear a space suit to even get close to the building that was the computers housing. I have used the computer for less than a year and still have no clue on how to set up things like media player. Is there room for me here?

Member Avatar for Siersan

Is there room for me here?

Always. Geeks are a strange bunch, but we always welcome new people into our fold. The only requirement is a desire to learn. :)

Just to set the record straight - you have to be a registered member to post. Guest posting is no longer allowed here due to abuse. And YES! Of course everyone is welcome.

Oh I haven't noticed that guest posting isn't allowed any more but I still think there should be something done to encourage new users posting or some sort of alternitive.

haha how about this alternative, post or die!! I think it is a little strong, but maybe its just me....:p

Actually ... log out of the forums and browse them. You'll notice a yellow notice near the top that tells guests a little something about our community and entices them to register. Once visitors have registered, the notice changes to say that you need to activate your account. Once your account is activated, the notice changes yet again to say that you have not made any posts yet, and why not begin by welcoming yourself to our community in the Geek's Lounge. Then, from a members first post until they have acurred ten posts, it offers other suggestions about how to participate in our community and welcome. These notices appear at top of every page of the site ;)

I think there are too many one time users that make an account and use it to fix a problem or too and then never come back to use their account I think people who just have a quick problem and dont think they will use Daniweb again should be strongly encouraged to sign in and post as a guest.

Is that even possible?

No, it isn't possible. DaniWeb is meant to be a support community - including technical support questions :) Everyone who follows our rules is welcome to register and post.

Simple answer:

Be very friendly and helpful to newcomers :)

Make people feel welcomed and wanted, and more of them will return, eh?

:D

Simple answer:

Be very friendly and helpful to newcomers :)

Make people feel welcomed and wanted, and more of them will return, eh?

:D

That is very true...that is what has kept me coming back.:) It's nice to have a place to come to ask a question and not get treated like you are a complete idiot...lol. And it's a great place to learn. I feel like I've learned a lot since I first registered last year, and I look forward to learning more. And when I feel like I know enough to help a little, I will post...right now it may not be often, but I am looking forward to the day when that changes.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.