Dani and community,

I saw this thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread296478.html

and it gave me an idea. With nearly 800,000 members, we should try to leverage the massive talent that has amassed on DaniWeb to collectively do some projects for some worthy causes. For example, the web design/programmers could work together to make a website for a non-profit organization. The programmers of DaniWeb could do something like the above link to help out someone in need of software but without the knowledge or resources to obtain/create it otherwise. This collection of software/websites/projects/products could be "branded" as DaniWeb Projects and cataloged as a proof of concept of how large communities working together than produce great results.

What do you guys think?

Dave

pritaeas commented: commendable +0
Lusiphur commented: At worst it'd give me something productive to do :P +0

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

In theory, good idea. In practice ... perhaps there is a reason there exists so much doubt about how large communities can work together to produce great development projects. haha. It seems like getting so many people on the same page and working together on a project in their spare time like this would be doable but be an organizing nightmare and be VERY time consuming. Still, I am wondering if there is any interest among the community? ...

Member Avatar for iamthwee

No.

I'm with Dani in that it sounds good as an exercise in blue sky thinking, but bringing it down to Earth would most likely see it break.

That said, there's something intriguing about the notion of Open Source web development for want of a better term.

In theory, good idea. In practice ... perhaps there is a reason there exists so much doubt about how large communities can work together to produce great development projects. haha. It seems like getting so many people on the same page and working together on a project in their spare time like this would be doable but be an organizing nightmare and be VERY time consuming. Still, I am wondering if there is any interest among the community? ...

Well don't you think it would be worth a try and see what happens? Perhaps the matter has got the attention of the wrong people. After all I only found out about this topic after a PM and I would be very interested in open source php projects.

There is certainly no reason you couldn't set up a group and start a new project on one of the open source hosting sites like SourceForge and see how it goes.

I have just created a group and would like to know what sort of open source projects people would like to participate in so I can create the sourceforge page.

Personally I think it's a good idea in theory...

However, unless you can find a really solid concept for a project and a solid core group to work on the 'meat' of the project, I just can't see a group of 'random' people being able to sort out the sheer logistics of putting something like this together.

Most 'open source' projects I've seen successfully done are such that a core group puts together the majority of the content and others add to it over time (add-ons, bug fixes, etc). The additions get screened and incorporated into the primary source but it's handled by the core.

The concept of a large, loosely organized, subset of people putting together a workable program/project without such a core seems a near impossibility in my limited experience.

Best of luck with it though :)

commented: I have to agree, since the initial proposal sounds like a possible "design by committee" which is inviting disaster and possible splintering of the group. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.