Well... I am a sophomore in college and torn between choosing 1 of 2 majors.

Computer Science or Information Technology.

My financial situation isn't all that great, my parents are helping me out a lot, but they advise me on getting my degree and getting out into the 'real' work field as soon as possible.... which I completely understand.

Sadly, I love learning about computers... every aspect of them. If I had the choice I'd probably stay and take every class this university has to offer hahah, but that's a debt I do not even want to bring into reality.

Alas this is the year I must choose a major/minor and finish up my studies within the next 2-3 years.

Right now my idea is... Major: IT Minor: MIS(management information systems) .... do you think it would be beneficial to add in a minor of Comp Sci?

Just wondering what opinions/thoughts you all had on the degrees and if you had any advice to give through your various experiences.

Sorry for the wall of text

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Do you want to be a programmer or do you want to be a computer janitor? If you want to be a code janitor, go for CS. If you want to be a computer janitor, go for IT.

Do you want to be a programmer or do you want to be a computer janitor? If you want to be a code janitor, go for CS. If you want to be a computer janitor, go for IT.

I want to do both, but I cannot.

My overall goal once I further my education is to also contribute and develop in the security field in some way.

If your goal is to program, then you should take computer science classes. You won't learn much programming in an Info Tech program... but if you really enjoy Info Tech as well, get the IT minor, or talk to your advisor about creating a custom degree that combines both passions.

Good luck!

Only one piece of advice here--following your heart's desire!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.