I’m new here and looking for some good advice. I have a graduate degree in Information Systems and trying to get entry in the IT field with no real world experience. I have not done internship and I’m not a young grad. I did graduate last summer and have been looking. I have done quite a bit of C++ programming and am also reasonably comfortable with VB and follow Java with my C++ knowledge. What would be a good way to market my skills?
Thanks
:?:

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pvi

Well, first thing is to organize your skills, experience and motivation in a resume - making sure to have two resume types, one for online posting to job search applications and one for direct mailing/emailing. This organization may help you target your job/career search, and perhaps clarify whether there's any "industry" that you might want to focus on. Note that you'll probably end up focusing on 2 industries, 1 as a domain within the IT industry, and the other as the business focus of your efforts, i.e. IT applied to healthcare, retail, government whatever.

TNM
www.technicalresume.net

I’m new here and looking for some good advice. I have a graduate degree in Information Systems and trying to get entry in the IT field with no real world experience. I have not done internship and I’m not a young grad. I did graduate last summer and have been looking. I have done quite a bit of C++ programming and am also reasonably comfortable with VB and follow Java with my C++ knowledge. What would be a good way to market my skills?
Thanks
:?:

Thanks TNM, appreciate your advice. I do have an online resume and have received calls from recruiters who either express higher expectations for entry level or suggest that I undergo training in some of the newer languages. The more I talk to people in IT field, undergoing training or certification seems necessary.
I will get an opinion from the technicalresume.net and make the necessary changes to the resume.
Thanks once again.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.