I have been told that a keyword-rich title tag is the key to SEO excess but the latest I have read about seems to be both logical and so stupidly simple that I was curious if anyone had heard of it or even tried it. The suggestion in the piece I read was that to improve local search performance a title tag should include the physical address of the business. Immediately I thought of the small business in the areas surrounding my house and I wonder how this would work for restaurants and other local businesses. Has anyone ever heard of this before or better yet has anyone ever tried it?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have heard of it and read on some best practice guide that the description has to be 13 words or less.

I have heard of it and read on some best practice guide that the description has to be 13 words or less.

If that is the case, a long address could be problematic. The next question is can local search visibility be increased by simply putting in zip codes or town names rather than full street address. For example 'Acme Inc, serving Bakersfield, Capital City and Springfield'.

Title tags are still among the main on page elements of all websites wanting to be found in the main search engines like Google and Yahoo plus MSN. By writing the main words at the beginning parts the chances of them being found would be going higher. This matter is also correct about the local search engines results pages.

I have been reading about (and also started threads about) Hunch and Google Squared. Both of these seem like they are going to play a role in local search's in a way that may make using the full address in the title tag more important, especially for businesses operating in a geographically small area.

Yup, it will specially if you emphases the keywords at the content.

You should use important keywords in your title tag that best represent your website.

You should use important keywords in your title tag that best represent your website.

This is a good point. There is a movement (discussed at InternetWeekNY) that rather than designing for the search engines people should design for the user experience. If you take this into consideration, then the important keywords would have to be used in such a way as to have a coherent message in the title tag. Do you agree?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.