A recent study shows that more and more people are now looking to search with long tail keywords. This has probably to do with lots of less relevant links making it to the top of competitive keywords thanks to SEO.

Keywords with 8+ words have had a 6% growth while those lesser than 5% have seen a decline in the volume of searches

One word : 24.32% (0%)
Two words : 23.55% (-1%)
Three words : 20.52% (-1%)
Four words : 13.69% (-1%)
Five words : 7.94% (1%)
Six words : 4.30% (2%)
Seven words : 2.33% (3%)
Eight and more : 3.35% (6%)

http://techcrunchies.com/average-length-of-google-search-keywords/

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I have received similar data from responses we got from a in-house survey conducted with active searchers who are part of our customer database. The percentage we get for "1 word" however is 18.5%, probably because the "web hosting" is a field of activity where most terms are 2 or 2+ keywords.

Right, so we should pay more attentions to the long tail keywords while we are optimizing our sites.

Thanks,

Right, so we should pay more attentions to the long tail keywords while we are optimizing our sites.

Thanks,

It is always advisable to choose long-tail keywords than short tail keywords. They are easy to rank and also good in conversion...

Thanks,

It is always advisable to choose long-tail keywords than short tail keywords. They are easy to rank and also good in conversion...

Really, it is not the case!

A small number of broad terms account for a large proportion of searches but an equally large proportion of the searches are made up of millions of more specific search queries.

The big problem is only the competitiveness of those short tail keyword!

Really, it is not the case!

A small number of broad terms account for a large proportion of searches but an equally large proportion of the searches are made up of millions of more specific search queries.

The big problem is only the competitiveness of those short tail keyword!

Well, i am not against the short-tail keywords....but long-tail keywords does have higher conversion rate because of its very targeted type traffic.

There is less competition so you can rank on the first page of Google for long tail keywords far easier than ranking for short tail keywords.

Yes, they don’t bring a lot of traffic separately but if you target lots of long tail keywords you can get lots of easy traffic.

Not everybody is capable of ranking highly for highly competitive keywords but anybody(!) can rank for long tail keywords.

Well, the keyword's day is really over since the google can dectect the real relvant content match the search already!

I've noticed that most searcher uses two and three keywords than one keyword only.

i have always focused on long keywords...thanks for the stats info

I am seeing a pattern with the websites these days..Those focusing on short tail are those websites that have in-house team. And those that want to focus on long tail choose to go user-generated getting the users ask the same question in plenty of different ways..it's both intelligent way to get different long tail keywords with lesser resources.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.