Reciprocal and Non-Reciprocal Links… What's the Difference?

Once your website is up and raring to go, it is important to start
formulating a marketing strategy. The obvious goal is to attract as many visitors as you can. One of the best ways to do this is through a "Linking Campaign".

In order to begin your campaign, you must first understand the
difference between reciprocal and non-reciprocal links. A reciprocal link simply means that two websites are linking to each other. Both sites generate traffic for each other simultaneously. This follows the philosophy of, "You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours." A non-reciprocal link refers to a website that links one-way. A good linking strategy is to create as many inbound non-reciprocal links as possible, with some strategically chosen reciprocal links as well.

Nowadays, search engines are incredibly smart. The positioning of your site depends a great deal upon how many people link to your site. A lot of non-reciprocal inbound links tells a search engine that your site contains valuable information. After all, who's going to recommend your site without reciprocation unless they believe it will benefit their readers?

On the other hand, a website with a bunch of reciprocal links could indicate that the webmaster solicits links. This means topics and information may or may not be connected, and the probability that it's a valuable site diminishes. To determine this, search engines then look for key word connections between reciprocal links to determine if the sites are in fact benefiting each other.

The key is: choose your reciprocal links wisely. Connect only to
websites that contain related information that readers will enjoy.
Spend your time cultivating valuable information on your site, and
then tell everyone you can! If you end up having more non-reciprocal links than reciprocal links, search engines will rate your site much higher than those that don't.

Then the question becomes, how do you generate non-reciprocal links? The first step is to create a site packed with valuable information. Make your site full of interesting details that similar sites' readers can't live without. If webmasters see the benefit to linking to your site, your Marketing Campaign becomes a snap. Another really easy way to create non-reciprocal links is by owning a link on websites that exist only to provide traffic. Like owning country sites, pixel sites etc. One good example is my site.

When you begin, try emailing other webmasters. Tell them why your site will be important to their readers, and make it easy for them to say yes by including a ready-made link. You'd be surprised at how many people agree to help!

You can also try writing a nice review of a few sites on your webpage. Email the sites' webmasters and let them know about your testimonials. It's likely that the sites will want to advertise your nice comments to their readers by posting a link to your review.

Finally, submit your website to as many relevant web directories as you can. This is one of the fastest, most powerful ways to make your website known. If you search for "web directory" on Yahoo!, it returns over 1 million results. You can pick and choose the ones you'd like to submit to.

I hope that helps,
Best Regards,
Freddie

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

... Another really easy way to create non-reciprocal links is by owning a link on websites that exist only to provide traffic. Like owning country sites, pixel sites etc. One good example is my site ...

Do you really think it wise to suggest using "websites that exist only to provide traffic". Such schemes are of such little value to the Internet browser and so to the search engines. It is ridiculous to think that engaging "pixel sites" for purposes of SEO is anything remotely effective in either the short or the long term.

I find it sad that you think this an SEO strategy worthy of sharing in a public forum. But, then again, I have seen worse things suggested here.

Do you really think it wise to suggest using "websites that exist only to provide traffic". Such schemes are of such little value to the Internet browser and so to the search engines. It is ridiculous to think that engaging "pixel sites" for purposes of SEO is anything remotely effective in either the short or the long term.

I find it sad that you think this an SEO strategy worthy of sharing in a public forum. But, then again, I have seen worse things suggested here.

actually believe or not, advertising in these kinds of sites do work, and I am not only saying that because I own one. I am saying that because I advertise my site on these types of sites as well, it helped increase my Google P.R, search engine rank and overall got my links out there. It creates reciprical links for my websites and ultimately thats just what I want. However if you do think that advertising on sites like these is a waste, than there are also other alternative just whatever works for you :).

Thank You for reading the article though, I appreciate at lease somebody reading it :)

Freddie

actually believe or not, advertising in these kinds of sites do work ...

I would have a better look at what works and what doesn't work.

Some may work but the vast majority of these types of things are taking a shit-kickin' in the SERPs and this trend will continue to unfold as long as Google is hell bent to clean out the trash and sustain it's SERP integrity against the onslaught of second-class useless activities such as the ones you suggest whose sole aim is to artificially manipulate the importance and authenticity of web pages with such link and affiliate schemes.

Instead of wasting your time in discovering and sharing new SEO miracle tonics, get to work building quality, unique content.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.