Hi,

I would like to know if Google, Yahoo or MSN would consider the title of my website as spam.
My title goes like "Contract Job Marketplace for Webmasters, Freelancers, Programmers, Translators, Custom Web Designers and more..."
Am I using too many commas???

Please help...

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

"Contract Job Marketplace for Webmasters, Freelancers, Programmers, Translators, Custom Web Designers and more..."

Are you concentrating on all of the mentioned people above? If yes then I dont think so its a SPAM. As you are not repeating any words in your title.

Am not an SEO but the student of SEO.

Yep, these are the keywords I am targeting. But I was told using an automated SEO tool that my title appears to be spam because of too many commas.

Hi,

I would like to know if Google, Yahoo or MSN would consider the title of my website as spam.
My title goes like "Contract Job Marketplace for Webmasters, Freelancers, Programmers, Translators, Custom Web Designers and more..."
Am I using too many commas???

Please help...

It is not SPAM but is too long to be truly an effective <title>.

I see 10 keywords. Pick 5 or 6 and I would recommend not using terms such as "and more". Also, try to avoid punctuation especially stuff like "..."

I look at a title like that and the first thing that comes to my mind is, "You're an inexperienced SEO who created that title for SEO's sake" ... I have another thread around here somewhere where I explain that the best way to do SEO is to not do ANYTHING for SEO's sake. That's the kinda stuff the search engines catch on to.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread44195.html

Laundry lists of keywords are not good page titles.

A good page title should entice users to click on your page when it appears on the SERPs (search engine result pages).

Look at some top tier web properties (ebay, amazon, wikipedia, craigslists, etc.) take notice of their page titles. You will notice some common best practices and themes.

In my opinion, it's a little long. Try shortening it.

I shortened the title a bit to "Freelance Jobs - Contract Work for Web & Graphic Designers, Programmers, Writers and more"

Is that still too long??? Any recommendation for a better title?

I shortened the title a bit to "Freelance Jobs - Contract Work for Web & Graphic Designers, Programmers, Writers and more"

You need to research first for the best keywords to use and if possible only put those keywords as your title ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isulong Seoph

It's not bad, to be perfect, in my opinion, remove the punctuation, the hyphen, the trailer and the ampersand to be :

Freelance Jobs Contract Work for Web Graphic Designers Programmers Writers

A better practice is not combine keywords using the "|" symbol. I read this in Brad Callen's SEO made easy.

"Freelance Jobs | Contract Work | Web | Graphic Designers| programmers| Writers"

should be ok.

A better practice is not combine keywords using the "|" symbol. I read this in Brad Callen's SEO made easy.

"Freelance Jobs | Contract Work | Web | Graphic Designers| programmers| Writers"

should be ok.

All separators including commas, periods, hyphen, pipe symbol, asterick etc., are a waste of Title real estate. Let the SE mix and match the words in various combinations, simply feed it the words.

I wrote an article on this called Keyphrase Title Soup, you'll have to dig a bit to find it cause I can't link to it here but essentially it tells you what to do when you don't know what to do with your Title.

Keyphrase Anchors Congruency is the lesson before that which may help you understand the use of languange semantics and web site congruency when creating or requesting anchor links.

Hi,

What ever you add in the title, the SE will read only upto some characters. So no need to worry. All you have to do is to increase your back-links. Dont worry about this LITTLE title :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.