A lot of times when doing guest posting outreach, it's the recommended strategy to link to content pages (e.g. specific blog articles, etc.) as opposed to your primary landing pages.

It's my understanding that the reason for this is because your link is more likely to be flagged as spammy by the publisher if you are linking to landing pages, specifically if they are ecommerce landing pages, versus informative content pages.

However, disregarding that, which works better from an SEO perspective? If you could just as easily link to landing pages over content pages, would that be preferable?

jwatson commented: Personally I concentrate on main content pages for build backlinks. +3

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This is a great question that almost every marketing team or business owner asks. The simple answer is that when it comes to choosing between backlinking to landing pages or content pages, always go for content.

I believe that choosing the latter entices consumers to interact with your website, generate impressions for ad space, purchase your goods, and complete lead forms. My second reason for choosing content over landing pages is that the user needs a cause to "naturally" link to your website.

By choosing content, you have established a compelling reason for someone to link to you by offering useful resources, relevant data, instructions on how to do a task, or just a fun game or quiz. This establishes the purpose of the link and contributes to everything seeming natural.

It is better to build links to landing pages

Linking to your content page is preferred, in my opinion as an SEO expert, because if someone clicks on the link, they might enjoy your material and read it entirety, which would ultimately increase the visiting time to your website and reduce bounce rates.

And as you just noted, that linking to a landing page could sound spammy.

My personal opinion is you choose link pages on your site according to keywords you want to rank for and based on their relevancy to your guest post topics.
I think the better idea is to get a link with a brand name to increase authority, create unique content for county pages. Get some quality links from . Backlinks are a great way to boost your website's ranking in the eyes of Google and other search engines.

I think if you need to promote your landing page, you should promote it. Just become sure this landing page has some piece of quality content.

The main reason, as you mentioned, is that it's harder to get links to landing pages approved. Most sites that accept guest posts want their visitors to stay on the site as long as possible. If you link to an external site, they want that link to be as relevant as possible so that their visitors click on it. If the link goes to a product page, there is a good chance that the visitor will leave their site and never come back.
Linking to a content page keeps the visitor on the site, and if the content is good, they may even read more articles and click on other links on the site. This is good for the site owner, and it's also good for you because your link is more likely to stay in place.

commented: I agree with you, being a copywriter for a better part of my life, and writing landing pages I would say you are right on point! +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.