Hello,

I have a query :

Is sub-domain is considered as different or new domain by search engines or not.

Like my websites www.daniweb.com so www.domain.daniweb.com will be considered as new domain or different domain by search engine on not.

Also if i place links from subdomain to other websites, will that be considered from my main domain or from sub domain.

Little confused.........

I read some where in forums that sub-domain are considered as new domain but not sure.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Is sub-domain is considered as different or new domain by search engines or not.

Yes

Also if i place links from subdomain to other websites, will that be considered from my main domain or from sub domain.

subdomain.domain.com and www.domain.com use the same ip adress.
Search engines don't like it.

I will not place links from sub domain to my main domain. I will place links from subdomain to someone else domain.

Hello,

I have a query :

Like my websites www.daniweb.com so www.domain.daniweb.com will be considered as new domain or different domain by search engine on not.

Little confused.........

I read some where in forums that sub-domain are considered as new domain but not sure.

Thanks

I will not place links from sub domain to my main domain. I will place links from subdomain to someone else domain.

subdomain's with real content is normal same as other domain.

10, 100, 1000... subdomains in a short period is dangerous. Black list or Long Sandbox

subdomain's with real content is normal same as other domain.

10, 100, 1000... subdomains in a short period is dangerous. Black list or Long Sandbox

Yes its true. You should be careful.

Thanks for suggestions.
Its useful and my doubt is clear now.

Since the answer was yes - here is a related follow up. It may seem obvious, but I just want to confirm.

Say you have a subdomain based site that does well in the search engines, and you need to change the subdomain name (only). Will your new subdomain site be starting from scratch with the search engines? (not even indexed?)

I believe subdomains are looked at as just that ... sub-sites or mini-sites which are self-contained. I think their biggest problem as far as SEO (and usability!) is concerned is that you can't use relative links among various subdomains of a single site.

I believe subdomains are looked at as just that ... sub-sites or mini-sites which are self-contained. I think their biggest problem as far as SEO (and usability!) is concerned is that you can't use relative links among various subdomains of a single site.

Hi Queen,

Well i will just be making a single sub domain and making a seo friendly directory over there and then do link exchange.

making too many domains and pointing link to my main website from same ip will get me penalized, so i am not going interlink them I will optimize sub domain.

Thanks

That works, but is there a reason for using a subdomain at all? Why not keep everything in the www subdomain? (Yes, 'www' is a subdomain of 'domain.com' giving you 'www.domain.com')

That works, but is there a reason for using a subdomain at all? Why not keep everything in the www subdomain? (Yes, 'www' is a subdomain of 'domain.com' giving you 'www.domain.com')

can u please explain "Yes, 'www' is a subdomain of 'domain.com' giving you 'www.domain.com"??????????????????

Thanks

Yes.

Say you have a subdomain based site that does well in the search engines, and you need to change the subdomain name (only). Will your new subdomain site be starting from scratch with the search engines? (not even indexed?)

If you want to move your site from one subdomain(domain) to another subdomain(domain), you should use a 301 redirect (permanently moved redirect) - do a query on google for that and you will find plenty of info about it and how to implement.

This way, your new domain (subdomain) will get the visitors from the old one (you won't lose traffic) and search engines will replace the old site with the new one in their index, so you won't lose SE indexing and PR. As far as I know, it takes 2-3 weeks for google to transfer the PR from the old domain to the new one.

If you want to move your site from one subdomain(domain) to another subdomain(domain), you should use a 301 redirect (permanently moved redirect)...
...you won't lose SE indexing and PR. As far as I know, it takes 2-3 weeks for google to transfer the PR from the old domain to the new one.

Whew. There's a workaround. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.