My sites rank very well in msn usually top 10 for all keyphrases, and the same in google once I have some inbound links. But Yahoo my sites are #100+. What does Yahoo focus on for SEO that's so different? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Yahoo and Google's algorithms are more or less at odds and it is common for a site to rank well in one and not the other. Making your site friendlier to Yahoo usually comes at the expense of ranking well in Google. If you rank well in Google I wouldn't change anything and simply promote your site as normal. Eventually Yahoo will catch up.

Careful selection of keywords, incoming links, title tags, header and keyword-rich content are of course going to be as important to Yahoo as they are to Google.
Yahoo cares about page descriptions. Google usually composes its own page description based on the text of the first paragraph of the indexed page. Yahoo wants you to have a unique page description and you should diligently follow their advice.
Use a "description" meta-tag and write your description accurately and carefully. After the title, the description is the most important draw for users. Make sure the document title and description attract the interest of the user but also fit the content on your site.
Use a "keyword" meta-tag to list key words for the document. Use a distinct list of keywords that relate to the specific page on your site instead of using one broad set of keywords for every page.”

Yahoo does not use meta tags in their search engine rankings. They do read them but they won't affect your rankings. You should still make good meta tags but don't do this expecting a boost in the SERPs. Focus on your content and inbound links.

Yeah inbound links is definetely where im lacking. All my sites rank in the top 10 on msn without any inbound or backlinks, I added 1 backlink to one site and a couple to another and now im #2 on google for the keyphrases. I'll research and add some quality links that should hopefully do it.

> Google usually composes its own page description based on the text of the first paragraph of the indexed page

Actually, the abstract you see in the Google search results is usually the paragraph containing the keywords searched for.

Or the description from the site's DMOZ listing or the site's meta description tag.

Hard to say for sure. It looks like Google goes in this order most of the time:

1) Dmoz description (usually only affects the home page)
2) Snippet from the web page
3) Meta description tag

My sites rank very well in msn usually top 10 for all keyphrases, and the same in google once I have some inbound links. But Yahoo my sites are #100+. What does Yahoo focus on for SEO that's so different? Thanks

Yahoo and Google Algorithms differs it's algorithm...

Yahoo focuses on quality contents while Google is based on Quality links...

As of now Yahoo changes it's algorithm lately they added links as factor..

If you want your site rank on Yahoo... Put your targeted keywords on your contents and focus your contents on your keyword density...

Yahoo focuses on quality contents while Google is based on Quality links...

Actually, Google uses links to determine quality of content. That's what PageRank is all about.

As of now Yahoo changes it's algorithm lately they added links as factor..

Links have been part of Yahoo's algorithm for years.

Actually, Google uses links to determine quality of content. That's what PageRank is all about.

Links have been part of Yahoo's algorithm for years.

Yes, I've already now that Yahoo have been a part of Yahoo algorithm for years but they focus more on Onpage Optimization what do you think?

And I know Quality links and PR... The question he was asking is how to optimize in Yahoo...

Yes, I've already now that Yahoo have been a part of Yahoo algorithm for years but they focus more on Onpage Optimization what do you think?

It's not so much they focus more on on-page factors as they are years behind Google in link analysis and can't keep up in that area. They'll keep moving to a link-based algorithm as they improve their capabilities to analyze links as it really offers the best way, that we know of right now, to determine relevancy and authority.

Hello All
Yahoo Optimize tips :
1.Good Design
2.Original Content
3.More Inbound Links
4.Good Navigation
5.Quality Backlinks

Hi,
You can submit your site information in yahoo directory which will be useful to increase your serp's in yahoo.

For Yahoo is more important the age of the site, for google and bing is less important.

Today the search engines are more similar between them than a couple of years before.

Or the description from the site's DMOZ listing or the site's meta description tag.

How long DMOZ listed your site after you suggest URL?

I don't know why i suggested www.thegioitructuyen.vn more than 3 three months but DMOZ still have not listed my site.

I suggested only one times and right category.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.