Sorry to be the Maverick in this discussion but the facts on this matter indicate that when it comes to META-keywords you must keep it to three.

Why?

Remember, in the process of building your site you are doing one page at a time. Each page should be very specific with regards to its content. The more specific you are the better the results you'll get with your rankings on the search engines.

Think about it this way. How could you possibly write or create a web page that addresses 8-10 or more keywords? You simply can't.

So when someone types in "one" of your keywords, finds your site listed on the first page of the results (hopefully), clicks on your link, they had better find the "exact" results they were looking for. If not, they're gone.

On the other hand, if the keyword they typed into the search field was "oriental rug cleaning" and your page was about "discount oriental rugs" you have failed your visitor and they will never be back.

What's even worse, now that the search engines are monitoring online behaviour of surfers they will penalize your site if your "bounce rate" is above 50%. Also, the search engines will think you're trying to SPAM them when you use too many (8-10).

So, limit your keywords to 2-3 per page. Make it specific and related to the content on that page, and use the "primary" keyword in a text link.

You'll do much better in the long run if you follow this pattern.

To your success
:)

Thank you for your reply :)

I can't say that I really disagree with you. We are talking the same language. I was expressing that 6 is a maximum. As you see I used 5 keywords in my example below.

With a keyword like "oriental rug cleaning" you are limited to the amount of keywords you can use, but if you are selling oriental rugs...You may want to take advantage of Yahoo and Google’s drop down boxes as I do. "Oriental rugs" "Cheap oriental rugs" "Oriental rugs for sale" "discount oriental rugs" and Antique oriental rugs"

Your title could read
"Cheap oriental rugs for sale. Discount antique oriental rugs” This title encompasses all the words in Google’s and Yahoo’s drop downs. Now simple use these same words in your description and body of your page. Make sure that these keywords are said with in the first 200 words of the body. Also use H1 header that use’s these keywords. And keep in mind that bots can’t read pictures, if you want a pretty picture, simply lay text over the picture so that it can be read. That’s all there is to it. TA DA!!!!

Again, I believe we are on the same page. Its people that think they can optimize 20 keywords on one page, is what gets me.

If anyone disagrees with me please let me know, as this is what has got us to the top of Google and Yahoo for EVERY site we own.

John Willis

I suggest you use between 8 to 10 keywords that are related to the web page, and your products or services. You might as well use it as stated by cscgal.

Hello Mauconline,

I'm up for the challenge. I would like to see a site that you have created, where you have used 10 keywords. I will then analyze your site, and see if you were successful. I can't see how you could possibly fit 10 keywords in your title and have it make any sense. If your Meta tag keywords are not in your title, you had better have a PR6 or better for it to show, and even then, good LUCK!

Here is an example: www.Helio.com with a PR6
Here are their keywords....
Helio cell phone plans, cellphone plans, wireless plans, mobile phone plans, cellular plans, helio all in membership, free nights and weekends, myspace mobile

Why wouldn't all their keywords show when searching in Google. They're a PR6 and there are less than a dozen cell phone carriers. So surely they should be on the first page for all their keywords in Google right?.... WRONG!

WHY? Because this is how their title reads....
"Mobile phones with wireless service | Helio"

Now, below are the keywords they have in their keyword Meta tags that are not showing up in searches. WHY? This is because these words are not in their title. Do I have to YELL it to you people, or is it you just like to continue doing things wrong!

"Myspace mobile"
"Free nights and weekends"
"Cellular plans"
"Cellphone plans"
"Wireless plans"
"Moblie phone plans" was a good attempt as "mobile" and "Phones" are in their title, but still not showing.

LOOK!!!....You must have your Meta tag keywords in your title and you can NOT effectively write a good title with 10 keywords.

There is one exception to to rule as mentioned in my ealier post. If you are selling "Mysto Phones" and you believe that your customers may enter "Misto Phones" as a search term. This would be the only time you should break the rules as your competition has not flooded the web with this keyword. You should also use this keyword at least one time in the body of your content. The content could read " A Misto phone is a Mysto phone, no matter how you spell it"

Enough said! I still love you guys :)

John Willis

Hi,

Almost 10 to 15 keywords are better in meta tags.
You can get help by comes on my site.
http://www.infomist.com/

You can also links with my site. Details are given below.
<a href="http://www.infomist.com/" title="Infomist provides Web Design/Development/Outsourcing Services" class="web2">Infomist | Web development & Web designing | Drupal | Web development & Web outsourcing | Web outsourcing</a> - Infomist is the most leading company and the largest Web developer site on the Net. Infomist provides web development, web designing, web hosting and web outsourcing services around the Globe. Infomist web developer’s team use most effective tool called Drupal for the Web development.

Use some 10 - 14 keywords but they must be finest. You can go thru the relevant sites and checkout what type of keywords they have used. Or you should go with the keyword research tools like overture, Google Adwords & Wordtracker which would give you the best keywords.

I have yet to have anyone show me their site where they are using 15 keywords and they are getting even 60% results. SHOW ME!!!!! I'm sure you won't. I'm sure the keywords you use in your title will be the only words that show in a search, unless you are using a Meta tag keyword that is not readlily used within the net, like the word misto, which is a misspelling of the word Mysto. Come on show me..... :)

Prove me wrong!!! You can't as I live, breath and sleep SEO.

Love ya...

John

You can challenge me, I can accept your challenge. But you can bet with me, I can approve my words after it.
Waiting your response.

I have yet to have anyone show me their site where they are using 15 keywords and they are getting even 60% results. SHOW ME!!!!! I'm sure you won't. I'm sure the keywords you use in your title will be the only words that show in a search, unless you are using a Meta tag keyword that is not readlily used within the net, like the word misto, which is a misspelling of the word Mysto. Come on show me..... :)

Prove me wrong!!! You can't as I live, breath and sleep SEO.

Love ya...

John

You can challenge me, I can accept your challenge. But you can bet with me, I can approve my words after it. I can show you the site which get 80% results.

Waiting your response.

Thanks for all sharing your opinion. i says just 10-12 keywords are fine. but most impotent is content.

I also agree with CSCgal. I just copy my page title into the keyword tag and I'm done. Not worth any more time than that.

You guys are probably all spinning your wheels with the debate about how many keywords to use in the keywords meta tag.

I've been doing SEO work since 1997 and no major search engine has used the keywords meta tag for over 8 years. I think the last major search engine to use the keywords meta tag was Alta Vista (who?), which was purchased by Overture and then by Yahoo many years ago. In the late 1990s, Alta Vista was the top search engine.

Some of the smaller search engines may still use it, but the amount of traffic that they send is literally insignificant.

Important HTML Meta Tags

The old rule with the keywords meta tag was that you only used keywords that appear on the page. In other words, don't stuff it with 50 keywords. If you are going to use it, use keywords that represent the theme for the page.

Many SEO professionals no longer use the keywords meta tag because it may be a waste of time. The bottom line is that it probably will not matter if you use or don't use it.

Approx. 10-15 should just be fine. One best way to understand whats best, is search websites with high PR and check their the number of Meta tags in the page source.

An upper limit of 900 characters with spaces .
10 - 20 Keywords per page (900 cws). SNIP

you people kill me and simply don't know what you are talking about, but I think I mentioned that before. Obviously you didn't read my post above. You say you have been doing seo since 1997 and that, keywords don't work. I thought I made my point with the misspelled word helio mysto. Put the word hogbashdorfall which is not a real word in your meta tags. Then search for the word in about 1 day if you own my site and about 3 weeks if it's your site..lol
I do like the advice that the one person gave about putting your title in your meta tags, that's VERY close, but take out the words that are not important like an, the of, we.... You really shouldn't be wasting space with words like that anyway.

I would recommend using 4-5 target keywords for primary pages and you can use 2-3 keywords for secondary or tertiary pages.
Ideas is that, you can have a page ranked fro 10s of keywords as there would always be a limit on keyword density and optimization of the page.

I generally used to place 10-15 keywords. 10 are sufficient and Google do not use keywords to rank your website but other search engines recommend good keywords.

You can put all the keywords if the websites permission,or you can use them By turns.

Search engines have progressed to the point where they don't need (or necessarily) use META Keywords to rank and understand your website. Still, it probably wouldn't heart to assign a handful to each page - depending on the size and type of content of each.

I think you can find the top 10-15, but I agree with stymiee, definitly put them in order of importance.

But it definitly is going to take more than keywords. Dont forget other important site elements when building your site!

Yes. Using meta keywords on your pages is the great way to let your competitors know what are your targeted keywords.

I guess keywords are not important to rank a website nevertheless, if you enter them somehow you are helping your target audience find your website easily that should the objective here! cheers.

5 to 10 perhaps , it depends .

Well i think they should be between 10 to 15.. But they should be put in order of importance...

I think there is no limitations for meta keyword.

70 characters is the best size

I prefer you should go for at the maximum 10 keywords which are highly competitive with a good combination of keyword density & competition

This site page only used to phrases and showed up 1 in the Google search.
This is really confusing. Spent 2 years on developing my application and find that search engine visibility is spoiling my efforts to make a meger buck.

<meta name="keywords" content=" META Keywords-how many?, Search Engine Optimization" />

keyword 8-10 is better.
So far i guess, Meta keyword is not so important for google ranking . it still work in yahoo, not sure but i hear it. i am looking forward in this thread.

Andrew, Looking forward meaning filling your pages with redundant keyword density? Please share what you see as the future of the "trick of getting seen" on the web.

All good informative.
Thank you so much!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.