I wonder if Yahoo's new look will help increase visitors to the site and make it grow. What do you think?
http://mashable.com/2009/07/20/yahoo-homepage-makeover/

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I wonder if Yahoo's new look will help increase visitors to the site and make it grow. What do you think?
http://mashable.com/2009/07/20/yahoo-homepage-makeover/

I like it. It looks a little slicker and cleaner and the fact that they have some social media links. To be honest, while Bing has a more eye-catching home page I think that Yahoo has actually done a better job with their look. If they can add some technological improvements that Google has not they could make a bigger dent in Google's armor than Bing.

These Yahoo changes remind me of another internet company that made similar changes and lost major market share throughout the years: AOL.

These Yahoo changes remind me of another internet company that made similar changes and lost major market share throughout the years: AOL.

I think what hurt AOL more was that initially they were THE search engine but when MSN, Yahoo, AltaVista and all of the other first generation SE's popped up that were purely about searching (where AOL was more of an on-line mall with search capabilities), the AOL model became trite. I also think the AOL powers that be were so certain of their position on the top that they sat on their laurels in terms of keeping up with the tech advances of the competition.

I do not see Yahoo slipping into the void that AOL did because they know they need to keep the business world happy by making their search work more along the lines of what google offers. It also didn't help that AOL developed a reputation for cyber-stalking and murky behavior similar to the reputation Craigslist has picked up due to their recent problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.