It is old news now that both Twitter and Facebook were targets of hacker attacks today. Did you get affected and if so how?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Well twitter was down for some time yesterday. We all were shocked to see that twitter was targeted and hacked. I now discovered how it has became a part of myself.

Didn't bother me a bit because I don't use either :) When I want to talk to someone I do it the old-fashioned way -- face-to-face, or ear-to-ear.

It is scary but a true reality that there are predators out there and one has to always be cautious and aware. I was not affected as far as I now of (I have a few different twitter accounts). On my Facebook account, I have made it extremely private - no one can find me. I have a Mac and even though most people recommend not to buy anti-virus software, I still made the investment.

I also want to add this link : http://twibbon.com/
It is funny to see that avatars are already made to reflect the Twitter's attack.

Whether you like or dislike these sites, this piece of crap hacker, poses a threat and I personally see it a form of terrorism. Malicious attacks on inter-human communication are more than just illegal - they are morally wrong.

Whether you like or dislike these sites, this piece of crap hacker, poses a threat and I personally see it a form of terrorism. Malicious attacks on inter-human communication are more than just illegal - they are morally wrong.

It is funny that you mention terrorism as this occured a few weeks after it was discovered that some government sites were hacked. I read a book a few years back that was predicting that as more and more people become reliant on computer-based tools (cloud computing and social networking anyone?) that cyber terrorism could become a major threat. In fact, the book said that a massive cyberterror attack followed by the detonation of EMP devices over major cities (New York, London, Tokyo) where major financial markets are located and the world could be put on the brink of a major panic.

You know what - we see it at our work places - when the system is down for a few minutes or hours - people dont know what to do and are just idle. Perhaps I am dating myself but I remember the time when many offices still had the IBM semi electric typewriter and the only issue was there no ink.
This thread makes me wonder if there is a terrorist attack rendering all technological communication on a standstill, where are the semi-electric typewriters as back up?

I really understand why these hackers have to attack on everything especially sites like twitter. I have heard of this hacking but not affected by it yet thank god for that.

You know what - we see it at our work places - when the system is down for a few minutes or hours - people dont know what to do and are just idle. Perhaps I am dating myself but I remember the time when many offices still had the IBM semi electric typewriter and the only issue was there no ink.
This thread makes me wonder if there is a terrorist attack rendering all technological communication on a standstill, where are the semi-electric typewriters as back up?

As the electric typewriters have all been recycled we will be forced to use pens and pencils. Then, writers cramp will be the new carpal tunnel syndrome!

I really understand why these hackers have to attack on everything especially sites like twitter. I have heard of this hacking but not affected by it yet thank god for that.

I was talking to one of my old college professors about it and he said a lot of times the hackers will hack a major company site and then offer to fix the problem in return for a job. The selling point being that the hacker knows the weakpoint of the website and also will be able to make the site as unhackable as possible going forward.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.