As reported on Mashable, web security software provider ScanSafe has completed research that shows a 20% increase in the number of companies blocking social networking sites over the past 6 months.

Having worked with some social network addicts who use their web-enabled phones at work so that they can do their work and constantly update their accounts simultaneously. (As this was while I was working in the hedge fund industry I feel bad for the accounts they were managing).

If this trend continues will the be problematic for social networking and online community marketers, especially those like Linkedin that are targeted towards professionals?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It may... However, social networking has become an accepted form of behavior, even in certain corporate setting. Thus, a trend I noticed with a few companies has been "Web Free Wednesday" or something similar to discourage employees from using the web for a few hours.
In regards to your question, I dont think Linked or other professional sites will be affected. Why? Because the majority of daytime social networking that employees participate are more social and personal rather than professional. I wonder if someone in this board has statistics to share.

It may... However, social networking has become an accepted form of behavior, even in certain corporate setting. Thus, a trend I noticed with a few companies has been "Web Free Wednesday" or something similar to discourage employees from using the web for a few hours.
In regards to your question, I dont think Linked or other professional sites will be affected. Why? Because the majority of daytime social networking that employees participate are more social and personal rather than professional. I wonder if someone in this board has statistics to share.

I understand and agree with what you say about daytime social networking at work but some companies (I have worked for a few) might take an all or nothing approach and even block Linkedin.

That is true. I know of many companies that have even blocked google or MSN search engines as part of increasing productivity.

That is true. I know of many companies that have even blocked google or MSN search engines as part of increasing productivity.

Next they will have to take away all the cell phones with web access and social networking apps.:D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.