With technology and actually with anything else, adoption of the new item or technology takes times and lots of effort.
With the adoption of social media at fast speed, I truly believe that now the laggards are embracing it. You are seeing older generations on Facebook. One important fact is that technology has become commonplace in society and it will not be obsolete, like my lovely BetaMax or Commodore 64.
So what do you think about this?
- the first 2.5% of the adopters are the "innovators"
- the next 13.5% of the adopters are the "early adopters"
- the next 34% of the adopters are the "early majority"
- the next 34% of the adopters are the "late majority"
- the last 16% of the adopters are the "laggards"
Rodgers - Diffusion Theory