Am I the only one who is not familiar with FourSquare? I know buddies who love FourSquare and constantly blog or tweet about it. I personally dont see the value. Can someone explain to me why this FourSquare is better than sliced bread?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Am I the only one who is not familiar with FourSquare? I know buddies who love FourSquare and constantly blog or tweet about it. I personally dont see the value. Can someone explain to me why this FourSquare is better than sliced bread?

I can't say I'm a fan of it myself, but I suppose it is a marketers dream because what foursquare gets out of it are consumer traffic patterns: who is going where and when. Targeted ads. That is my impression of the business model.

From a users point of view, people can tell you about places they go or have discovered in their locale. They've added a competitive aspect in that you can best your friends by going to places more frequently and becoming the "mayor" of a place. From that perspective, I suppose it can drive traffic to local brick and mortar merchants.

Thanks for the explanation. I personally dont want people to know where I am at. I have had stalkers in the past and I do think this service can provide stalkers a form of map of places the victim frequents. Otherwise, from what you are saying, it sure seems FourSquare is a more interactive version than Yelp (which I am a huge fan of).

Agreed... I don’t see what the usefulness is in letting someone know where you are all the time... it seems like you’re just asking for trouble.

I totally agree. There is already too much information on us - imagine enabling additional information. No way!

I totally agree. There is already too much information on us - imagine enabling additional information. No way!

I just read that the new version of Tweetie for iPhone now has FourSquare integration. Although all social media have marketing underpinning, this one is the most blatent. I'm with you...where I am is no one's business.

yea.. and on the flip side.. do your friends really care where you are all the time? Some might i guess. I dunno.. i've been waiting for the FourSquare movement to fizzle out for a few months now. Today i heard they just came out with a bunch more badges for their users to earn. Maybe they are getting desperate.. :)

I really dont want because we all know that in life, friends and lovers can become enemies one day. These type of tools are just becoming reservoir of information that can be used against you.

I know I am always looking for fun, innovative things to do with my smartphone. A computer in your pocket, gotta love! I can see myself using this application around town, or maybe while visiting another city, to find interesting things to do. This is a relatively new medium. Once businesses catch on, the discounts and deals available will increase.

This is a very interesting new light on this situation. I will now see FourSquare with a new perspective.

The drawback however is that we are giving more about ourselves and that's something which can raise red flag on security.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.