- submitting original articles to article directories.
- creating Squidoo lens
- creating hubs in hubpages
all with links going to your website.
Wow this is great help thanks for sharing...
I dont know if you are ready to spend a few bucks.
what I have used very successfully on this year 2010 and works fine for me. Sponsor local .org or .edu sites (like small town music school, karate academy) by donating a small sum and you can get some great links from their home page. The beauty is they have good trust rank with google and not many external link.
I agree with much of what's been posted here: get your content out there! You have to be proactive. The more of your material is out there, the better chance you have that people will read it and come back to your site.
Another tactic you might try (if you have a little cash) is to get a link report on some of your competitors and see where their 404s are. This will show you where there are missing links from some external site that thinks it's pointing to your competitor, but really it's linking to a dead page. You can solicit the external site owner for a link to your site instead. Win!
Doing article submissions, social bookmarking with good and relevant content, submitting content to SEO friendly directories, creating a network of your own websites and cross-linking are the excellent way to get backlinks to your site.
1) Like canadafred said, "... maybe try writing something naturally worth recommending."
2) Sign up with Ping.fm, register into as many social networks & social bookmarking sites as possible and submit to all of them through ping.fm's submission system (free).
3) write guest posts, my alexa rank went from 5.5million in december 1st to 400,000 today and, according to alexa, I've got 84 backlinks. I found guest authors in my niche who gave me backlinks (dofollow) after submitting unique posts (visit: http://www.myblogguest.com register and then start requesting to write guest posts for very popular websites in your niche)
4) make friends over twitter, tweet, retweet, comment, comment, dominate the social networks
5) article market as vanilla23 has said.