Do you delete unactive members who havent logged in for a couple of months?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I don't. People go on vacations, etc. Often times, I'll find myself registering on a site and frequently visiting. But then I get disinterested in the subject, or something goes on in my life, and I don't stop by for awhile. Then something happens that reminds me of the site, and I revisit it for the first time in a couple of months.

I think it might be safe to delete members who haven't logged in for over a year time provided they also have zero posts (which shows they were never really active) or they never activated their accounts (if you have email confirmation enabled as part of the registration process).

Other than that, I think that the only thing that could come of deleting accounts is frustration on the part of users who might surprise you and want to return.

What I recommend you do is place all of these inactive users into their own member usergroup where they don't show up on the memberlist, etc. You can also choose to send them emails every so often saying "We miss you!" trying to draw them back to your site.

Remember, ALL members took the time to register. They didn't do that if they had no interest in ever visiting your site again. It's your job to figure out why they aren't visiting or posting - and to see if you can draw them back. Rememer, it's easiest to make a sale to a previous customer! In other words, it's easier to get someone who already registered but just doesn't visit to come to your site and start posting than it is to get a brand new visitor to register and start posting.

Yeah, I agree with Dani. On my site, I run a query on the database every month or two, to get a list of all the members who have not even activated their accounts. I send them a reminder email with the link to activate their account. If a month or two goes by and they still haven't activated, I delete their accounts.

Then I do the same for members with zero logins. This is a big group, I was surprised when I first ran the report. The people went to the trouble to register, and they activated their accounts, but then they never logged in! So I treat them like un-activated accounts -- I send them a reminder, then delete any accounts still unused after a month or two.

Any account with posts, even just one, I leave permanently. However, I'm (slowly) trying to use email to draw back in the people who disappear for months at a time. One of my moderators was very good about drawing back old members, and she didn't even realize it. If a member hadn't posted in a long time, she would find one of their old posts and reply to it. Of course, this would cause an email to be sent to the person saying "you have received a reply" and the next thing you know, they're back and active.

-T

Remember, there are still users who are just lurkers and not posters. They register on sites they like, and make frequent visits, but just don't post for whatever reason. That really doesn't make them any less of a member - perhaps they use the thread subscription features, etc.

I have also seen few people just get a new name to bad mouth a company or just leave a post promoting a company and disappear. It really trouble onself to see such thread.

I have also seen few people just get a new name to bad mouth a company

I guess if you have a good enought built system you would be able to detect that.

just leave a post promoting a company and disappear. It really trouble onself to see such thread.

And having a dedicated team, who would pick up on that thread or and act according to the rules and/or guidlines ;) I dont see how it could be trouble some if you have a team and a community you support (and vice veras) that you ca \n trust when something like this occours.

What I recommend you do is place all of these inactive users into their own member usergroup where they don't show up on the memberlist, etc. You can also choose to send them emails every so often saying "We miss you!" trying to draw them back to your site.

Sorry to awaken an ancient thread, but why dont we do that Dani?

Is that what the difference between members and active members is?

Members: 458,558, Active Members: 92,494

Thats very few actual members...

Its equally important to keep an accurate member count. It shows the guests how many members the board actually holds.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.