I have built various content related websites, yet effective in promoting them. But when it comes to building and marketing a web directory, things are getting extremely hard in directory taxonomy and listing sites. i am not sure and very doubtful that whether starting a new dmoz style directory would become a huge failure without content.

* How do i make my new web directory a good profitable one?
* What are effective steps and tips for building a PR6 directory?

Has anyone been successful in building a directory attaining PR6 before??

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

My directory used to be PR7. It's now a PR6, but I'm happy with that. There are so many directories nowadays. May I ask what your model will be? Will it be an everything directory or a niche directory that is targeted to a particular group of users? Will there be paid inclusion, will it be free, will you require a link back?

May I ask what your model will be? Will it be an everything directory or a niche directory that is targeted to a particular group of users? Will there be paid inclusion, will it be free, will you require a link back?

Thanks cscgal for coming forward to help me with this. My directory would be dmoz style general web directory with free inclusions, say for about 3-5 months. My long term goals are making this directory a profitable one. I would like to hear your experiences from building and promoting such a directory.

Well, put yourself into the perspective of a web surfer. Why would they pay you to be listed in a small directory when they can be listed in DMOZ or the Google Directory for free? How would you generate traffic to your directory? Why would people use it? What will be unique about it that isn't already out there?

Of course any directory would'nt be a worth, if it doesnt answer basic questions.

Dmoz looks like a dead directory. any site you submit to them either it is going to sit out or it would take long months or years and their editors are struggling to cope up the submissions. Even if your site has high quality content or excellent source or information, you dont deserve a place in dmoz (just because your site is new and recently started)

I am thinking of naming my directory ODP Directory and i am still not sure if that domain name does not go against dmoz or odp project copyright or trademarks. Do you have any advice?

I think it will come out just looking like a Dmoz copycat. Not only legally, but also from the perspective of visitors.

sed to be PR7. It's now a PR6, but I'm happy with that. There are so many directories nowadays. May I ask what your model will be? Will it be an everything directory or a niche directory that is targeted to a particular group of users? Will there be paid inclusion, will it be free, will you require a link back?

You have a directory???

olddocks, I'm not sure how to respond. Building a web directory reaching a PR of 6 will be tough. One thing you have to realize is people really don't want to submit to a directory unless it has a higher pagerank than their page (or at least above 0).... I think you'll always have people that will submit links, but the majority will only come after you've gotten your PR up to a certain point.. (I guess that's the whole question, how to get your PR up).

Dmoz looks like a dead directory. any site you submit to them either it is going to sit out or it would take long months or years and their editors are struggling to cope up the submissions.

Agreed. I think I've submitted several times and haven't EVER got a notice of anything.

I can't remember if you said its free or not, but you should start out with the directory having free submitions... Maybe even provide some sort of automation system that automatically adds them. Promote as much as you can and provide some innovative things other don't have.

Good luck.

You have a directory???

I can't remember if you said its free or not, but you should start out with the directory having free submitions...

Thanks very much server_crash. yes, it is a free submission directory i am planning to build. Only my long term goals are making profitable one. I am still worried that so many directories out there, still not sure whether go ahead or not. I am so afraid that building a reputable directory would be the hardest one in internet.

i have a page rank 6 directory http://www.coolerchoice.com the way to do this is to get back links from other high ranking directories alot of these are paid but some are free or only a small price if you want a link on my PR6 directory please pm me or go direct to site

It is quite tough to build a PR6 directory these days, but if you can amass back links from external high PR web pages, you can make it.

However, I think it is not a standard practice to start up a free directory just to collect enough links to convince others to submit and then turn it to a paid directory. You'd better choose to run a free or paid directory from onset and stick to it.

Dmoz looks like a dead directory. any site you submit to them either it is going to sit out or it would take long months or years and their editors are struggling to cope up the submissions. Even if your site has high quality content or excellent source or information, you dont deserve a place in dmoz (just because your site is new and recently started)

I couldn't agree more. For new sites it's practically impossible to get listed in dmoz but it's almost as hard also for well established sites with original high quality content.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.