Hi! I'm a newbie here and I've been working on a new site that's recently been uploaded. After a week of trying to get backlinks and whatnot, I finally got it on Google search engine. My first victory.

Today I put adsense ads on for the first time. Getting the ads up was no problem... the part I'm confused and overwhelmed by is the required tax information.

Now, I know you guys aren't tax professionals, but I suspect maybe there's a user or two who filled out the forms before and can answer my questions. :)

a) IRS Tax Form W-9. What's that? Do I take it to my tax guy when I do my taxes next year?

b) It says "Business Name." What do I type? I'm not a business... just a guy who made a web page and put adsense on it.

c) It says, "If you are a sole proprietor and you have an EIN, you may enter either your SSN or EIN. However, the IRS prefers that you use your SSN." Um. Am I a sole proprietor? What the heck's an EIN?

Ok... thanks for reading. And thanks in advance for any and all replies. Again, I realize that this is a web / IT discussion forum, not a tax forum... but I thought you guys might be able to help 'cause you've probably done it before. Thanks.

P.S. Any other advice for a guy who is relatively new to adsense and non-personal web pages is appreciated too. :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

tax information is required only if u are a US citizen.....if u are not US citizen...u can reply to every field with a no......that much info will be sufficient....

Thank for the reply. I am a US citizen.

tax information is required only if u are a US citizen.....if u are not US citizen...u can reply to every field with a no......that much info will be sufficient....

I'm no tax expert either, but I suspect tax info is required of non-US citizens also if their web site is hosted in the US. Citizenship has nothing to do with it, its where the business (web site) resides.

yes ancient dragon is right....if ur businees is US based,u have to give accurate tax information....if ur business doesnt have anything to do with US....then wat i have told u is correct...i mean no need to give IT returns....just fill up "no" in every field of google's page which asks for tax info....

Again, thanks for the replies.

What if I'm not a business... I'm just a normal person who put adsense on his website. I don't have a business name or anything like that.

yes hosting the website in a US based server comes under business.....and it is in US....so u have to give accurate info.....

Tax information is required only if you are from US :!:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.