HI all, not long ago I posted something about a similar issue http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/web-design-html-and-css/threads/447728/change-the-colour-of-visited-link-with-avisited
but this time it is slightly different. Ok, so here's the offending page http://antobbo.webspace.virginmedia.com/various_tests/links/faqTest.html

When you click on the question, the answer will slide down. Now, the links will always point to #, but I still need them to change colour when clicked on, and take the visited colour. From previous post I have learned that the fact that links point to # might be a problem, how do I get around it please?
The links have this styles in this order:

/*STYLED LINKS*/
a.linkStyle:link{
    color:#2a00ff;
}
a.linkStyle:visited{
    color:#ff00ae;
}
a.linkStyle:hover{
    color:#333333;
}
a.linkStyle:active{
    color:#2a00ff;
} 
/*STYLED LINKS*/

Here's the full relevant code:

HTML:

<!-- START OF MAIN CONTENT -->
            <div id="content">
                <div id="theContent">
                    <h1>Frequently asked faqs</h1>
                    <p class="faq"><a href="#" class="linkStyle">Question n1</a></p>
                    <p class="answ">
                    This is the answ to the 1st FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display. This is 
                    the answ to the FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display.
                    </p>
                    <p class="faq"><a href="#" class="linkStyle">Question2?</a></p>
                    <p class="answ">This is the answ to the 2st FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display. This is 
                    the answ to the FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display.
                    </p>
                    <p class="faq"><a href="#" class="linkStyle">Question3?</a></p>
                    <p class="answ">This is the answ to the 3rd FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display. This is 
                    the answ to the FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display.</p>
                    <p class="faq"><a href="#" class="linkStyle">Question4?</a></p>
                    <p class="answ">This is the answ to the 4th FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display. This is 
                    the answ to the FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display.</p>

</div>

</div><!-- end of content-->          
            <!-- END OF MAIN CONTENT -->

CSS:

/* faqS AND answS BOX */
#content #theContent p.answ{
    display:none;
    margin:3px 0 6px 0;
}
#content #theContent p.faq{
    margin:0;
    line-height:1.857142857142857em;
}

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

From previous post I have learned that the fact that links point to # might be a problem, how do I get around it please?

What do you mean by a problem? Sorry, I still dont understand what you are actually trying to accomplish.

hey Violet_82,
you need to use different hashtags for that:

<p class="faq"><a href="#question1" class="linkStyle">Question n1</a></p>
<p class="answ" name="question1">
This is the answ to the 1st FAQ faq that has been clicked to show how the answ would display. This is

<p class="faq"><a href="#question2" class="linkStyle">Question2?</a></p>
<p class="answ" name="question2">

don't forget the name on the <p>.. this way external linking will point to the correct point
take a look at this:
http://www.boogiejack.com/html/html-anchor-tag.html

cheers

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
@JorgeM: The questions shold ideally change colour when clicked on them and take the visited link colour as detailed in the css. At the moment they don't, they retain their original colour.
@migcosta, thanks for that, I wasn't aware this was the right way to do it. I have amended it now http://antobbo.webspace.virginmedia.com/various_tests/links/faqTest.html but I still have the same problem, in that, as described above, the colour of the clicked on question, doesn't change to a visited link. It should change from 2a00ff to ff00ae. How do I achieve that

hey Violet_82
I'm seeing it the right way (I think.. :) ) please take a look ate the print screen.
Violet_82_screen1
I you still have this problem, please change this:

a.linkStyle:link{

to this

a.linkStyle {

you don't really kneed the ":link" (I never use it and don't think that is a very logical "tag" to use)
cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.