Okay, I just got my e4500 intel core 2 duo in my mail today. I put it in and everything, reassemble everything, graphics card, ram, yada yada. When i plug it in, and when i turn it on, it gives me a "No Signal" and goes blank, anyone know what went wrong? I hope its not my recently bought 8800GT >_< I tried my old 7600 too, but it still gave no signal, i hope its not my graphics card's problem. Is it my motherboard's problem? I have a ASUS P5NSLI. And if it IS my motherboard, what other motherboard can work with a 750 socket and a 6400 ddr2 ram? that is pci-e too?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

uhhhhhh....why did u take everything apart just for a new cpu? check ALL connections to the mobo, make sure it is getting power. If every thing is the same as it was befire added the new cpu put the old onw back in and see what happens.

Okay, I just got my e4500 intel core 2 duo in my mail today. I put it in and everything, reassemble everything, graphics card, ram, yada yada. When i plug it in, and when i turn it on, it gives me a "No Signal" and goes blank, anyone know what went wrong? I hope its not my recently bought 8800GT >_< I tried my old 7600 too, but it still gave no signal, i hope its not my graphics card's problem. Is it my motherboard's problem? I have a ASUS P5NSLI. And if it IS my motherboard, what other motherboard can work with a 750 socket and a 6400 ddr2 ram? that is pci-e too?

Building a computer requires a lot of computer knowledge ,especially the newer dual core and pci-e computers ,sometime when investing all that money some things are left to the pro's.

So lets get this strait ,you had a Asus board working in the tower before you bought the new dual core cpu,you took the ram and everything out ,install the new cpu ,the video card and reinstall the ram and everything else.Right .

Or ,did you buy a new motherboard and CPU,and video card ,and rebuild computer,re-adding the ram and hdd and stuff .if yes to this ,you will need to reload windows to get it to work right .

Building a computer requires a lot of computer knowledge ,especially the newer dual core and pci-e computers ,sometime when investing all that money some things are left to the pro's.

[[[A]]]So lets get this strait ,you had a Asus board working in the tower before you bought the new dual core cpu,you took the ram and everything out ,install the new cpu ,the video card and reinstall the ram and everything else.Right .

[[[B]]]Or ,did you buy a new motherboard and CPU,and video card ,and rebuild computer,re-adding the ram and hdd and stuff .if yes to this ,you will need to reload windows to get it to work right .

I did A. I had to take it apart because i had to take my motherboard all out because, my old cpufan/heatsink was screwed in, so i had to take the whole thing out to take it out to put in my new processor. Before I bought my processor, I checked everything LGA 775 and yada yada, I have some computer knowledge. But before buying it, I asked a lot of my computer geek friends. And I don't know if this would help but i have Antec earth watts 500 watt power supply

I did A. I had to take it apart because i had to take my motherboard all out because, my old cpufan/heatsink was screwed in,

really ,i 've never seen one like that before .seen them screwed in ,with plastic screws but they were only locking screws.
any way did you install a new fan and HS,also did you apply any thermal paste to the new cpu .

was you old cpu a dual core or just regular p4,may be a setting in the bios that need changing to the dual core .did you try resetting bios to the default settings ,
maybe not releated but you might see some info to help with the transfer to the new cpu,
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/09/06/asus_p5nsli/1

I get signal now, I put in my sticks of ram one piece at a time, turning it on, turning it off, until all four sticks are in. But then when I get to the windows logo at loading, i get the blue screen of death. My computer restarts after the windows logo. it keeps restarting without stopping.
my old processor was a p4, now i have a core 2 duo, i installed the new fan and hs that came with it, it also had some silver thermal paste on it, im pretty sure what they gave was enough, was i suppose to spread it? because thermal paste was in like 3 big lines almost covered up like 3/4 of the circular thing. finally i can get into bios now, im going to try to reset from bios

Someone said that I have to reformat my computer to 64x is that right? And is there another way besides reformatting? because i finally just got everything installed and downloaded and I dont want to go through installing and downloading everything i had again.

Someone said that I have to reformat my computer to 64x is that right? And is there another way besides reformatting? because i finally just got everything installed and downloaded and I dont want to go through installing and downloading everything i had again.

i don't think the person is correct ,and if they are its not formated to 64x,you would have to buy the 64x version of windows,and format and reload winxp 64 .dual core cpus' will use 32 bit winxp,so thats not you problem ,might be something in the bios to do with detecting you new cpu though .

I even tried the fixboot when i booted from xp cd at recovery console

so how do i set the bios thing up to recognize my new processor?

so how do i set the bios thing up to recognize my new processor?

good question ,you need to check the manual for the motherboard ,you should have gotten one with the computer when you bought it ,but if you didn't buy it new ,then you will need to look for it on the board maker web site, i will see if i can find it for you .

Yeah I built my own computer, so I think I have the manual. But I'll use yours.

Give me an IM if you think you can help me at
AIM: mizdachubz

Do you know exactly which chapter or what section to look for the recognition thing? I've been looking at this manual and I don't know where to look for it ><

check section 2.4.3

Umm my BIOS features are set to it, but would this help? In BIOS it said that my CPU type is Intel Genuine Processor. Is that suppose to say that? or is it suppose to say intel core 2 duo?

I tried to put in my old P4 E641 Processor. It still gave me the blue screen of death.

What Bios are You using I had the same problem and just updated to Bios 1401 and it fix it. Good Luck....

Eh, everythings okay now, nothigns wrong, i put in each stick of ram one at a time, restarting each time. then i took out one of my hard drives, it booted fine. my other hard drive was just corrupted, just had to reformat my back up hard drive.

So simple, but the correct way of troubleshooting.

Take everything out and identify the problem - Asus mobo's seem to be particularly picky when things fail! :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.