I run Windows 98 SE because I have programs that won't run on anything else so upgradind software is not an option. I think my old motherboard is getting a bit flakey but I have been warned off upgrading to a modern motherboard explaining that Windows might not be able to handle new hardware features. Is this really a problem, would 98 SE run OK on the latest motherboards? Thanks, Terry

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

98 would run on the new systems.who ever told you it wouldn't doesn't know what they are saying.

Thanks for that reassurance. The guy who told me 98 might have trouble was the guy I was trying to buy a new motherboard from! Perhaps he wasn't a good salesman. Thanks

He doesnt like Win98se form what im gathering.

I have heard of people taking an XP machene and swapping drives and using it on Win98se!!! (And man is it good)

Just gotta get past the driver issues and your good to go.. (And this one guy succeeded)

Any driver issues you may have Holler.

Thanks for that reassurance. The guy who told me 98 might have trouble was the guy I was trying to buy a new motherboard from! Perhaps he wasn't a good salesman. Thanks

I think your saleman is correct - I doubt if w98 will run on a new motherboard. Ihave had NT4 fail to run on a new motherboard and NT4 is same age as W98.

Good luck

Denis

Do what I did?

I needed NT4 as an app of mine didnt run on XP. I now just run NT4 from my XP machine (1gb ram needed!) using Virtual PC (an emulator). Its very good as it emulates standard hardware and Microsoft has kits for emulating previous versions of windows so that you can integrate the systems and get them set up quickly

It has allowed me to run legacy OSes on my new modern system as the system it emulates is very standard and suported by just about every OS i have ever tried.

NT4 and 98 might be the same age but 2 totally type of OS's.NT uses a NTFS (New Technology File System) 98 FAT32 (File Allocation Table).NTFS actually came out in the Mid 90's but that doesn't mean 95,98 or ME will run on it.NT was actually made and designed for business and networking.Take NT dual boot with 95,98 or ME using the NTFS for NT and FAT for the others you won't be able to read the files on 95,98 or ME.that is like ME it was made the same time as 2000 but 2 different OS's.I have put 98SE on newer systems i have even put windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22 on my Dell inspiron 1200 laptop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.