I've always had a problem with my laptop freezing. Sometimes I can be on it a while with no problem other times it constantly freezes. I have resetored it and reinstalled windows xp but the problem still exists. I have downloaded and installed all the updated drivers from dell.com but still no solution.

Chris

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by schrumby

if your laptop is still under warranty better to bring it back for servicing, symptom like that could be a hardware problem. Try reseating your processor check if it will help...

it may be the cooling that is caausing this problem or the processor is overheating and the processor cooler is causing problems

Unfortunately it isn't under warranty, it is at least 4 years old. When it was new I would have to change the display setting because they it would reset everytime it was powered on. It was sent back to dell and they claimed it had a bad hard drive and replaced it. This solved that problem but then it would randomly freeze but by then it was out of warranty.

I have never removed the processor from a laptop. Is there a way I can verify if it is a cooling issue?

Is this thread dead??

I have exactly the same problem as described. I also have an Inspiron 8500 which is 4 years old.

I have never had a problem with it before. The problem never appears when running in VGA mode. So i kinda figure that it is video card related problem. However, i also had my hard drive replaced a couple of months ago.

Have you found away to solve the problem.?

No I have not but the hard drive on my laptop was replaced not too long after I bought it and I have been having this problem since. I will try to run it in VGA mode also to see if this resolves the issue.

Is this thread dead??

I have exactly the same problem as described. I also have an Inspiron 8500 which is 4 years old.

I have never had a problem with it before. The problem never appears when running in VGA mode. So i kinda figure that it is video card related problem. However, i also had my hard drive replaced a couple of months ago.

Have you found away to solve the problem.?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.