need help with this bad. system has failed,blue screen with a windows message of it shuting down to pervent damage to computer. Does any of the following make any sense ti you guys.
Stop:0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xb7f58cb8, 0x00000000)
Win32k.sys-address BF803AF0 base at BF800000, Datestamp 45f013f6
hope soneone can tell mr what this means. here is what i have
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOMEBUILT
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model DQ965GF_
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3196 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3196 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CO96510J.86A.4462.2006.0804.2059, 8/4/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HOMEBUILT\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.82 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Ok here is a bit more on this problem. As you can see, I built this machine and it worked great for a while, then it crashed on me, error message said memory problem, down loaded Mircosoft's memory test and ran it, no failures with this test. System seemed to be working fine then out of the blue it crashed again, error message said something about a driver failing. Sense it seems to be video problem and I had intel's graphics media accelerator driver loaded, uninstalled it and everything worked fine for a bit. System then crashed with a memory error message, tested memory again, after no failures I swraped slots with the memory sticks, everything seemed to work. to make a long story short, have been flighting this problem now for about eight months. Reset always seemed to take care of the restarts until tonight. after this last crash reset did nothing, every time i tryed to restart with reset, would get three long beeps and the system would shut down. finally turned off the power for about five minutes and then turn it back on and started the computer normally. Everything seems to be working fine.
Could this be a MOBO problem or is it something else. I'm at a lost for what is causing this.
Many thanks to those who try to help me with this in advance.

Look this might be a stab in the dark, but have you tried changing the Hardware Acceleration setting in the Display tool in Control Panel from Full to none, when set at full, this can sometimes cause the stop error you recieve in Win32k.sys.

Also, have you updated your XP OS with SP2? (sorry, i just saw your running home with sp2)

just done what you said, will see what happens. thanks for the responce, will post back later if this action fixes the problem. it may take a few days.

without tech help don't know but it sounds to me like a timing problem on hte maoin board due perhaps to overheating or some 'sticky' memory slot; Have you got a soak test type memory program that runs for a long time (12 hours or so repeatededly?)
M

hehe ur's is a really weird pc .. seems like it enjoys troubling you ...!! and it improvises every time by displaying a new error message ..... lol .. !!!

I've ran the Microsoft mem test and had no failures after about 6 hrs one night. I've taken the memory sticks out and cleaned the contacts and swraped positions on the mobo without seeing any correction of problem, within two days she crashed again.
When this thing crashes the screen go black, I get three long beeps and then nothing, the machine stays on and after pushing the reset botton it comes back up and works fine for a few hours or even days. It has gone as long as three weeks without crashing, and other times for as little as one hour. everything I know points to the mobo and the Q965/Q963 express chipset.Going to call intel today and see what they say about it, hopifully they will replace this mobo.
will get back to you guys after talking to intel.

As y'all can see I've marked this as solved, turns out that I had several problems in this thing. It crashed one night and would not boot up the next morning, figured PSU, so went out and got mrself another one and installed it, still wouldn't boot, fan would spin and then it would shut down. Well the next thing that came to mine was mobo, got in tourch with intel and they replaced the mother board free of charge, well then I installed new mobo and old psu, nothing happened,noda,no fans ran or anything, replaced PSu with the new one and everything came to life, started getting a few error messages so I pulled the memory sticks and installed then one at a time, found out there was a bad stick, so now I'm running on just one gig of memory and will return the bad one to patriot for replacement, after all it has a lifetime warranty. But the 'puter is runnhing just fine now(knot on wood).Thanks for the assist guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.