hey guys...do you know naything about these cmoputers? I have a choice fo three and am having a tough time with each. ideas? opinions? pros vs cons that you see?
thanks for the info!

#1 The Acer Aspire 5050 is ideal for the entertainment enthusiast who requires reliability and performance. The Aspire 5050 will saturate your senses in an enriching multimedia experience.
The Acer Aspire AS5050-4570 Notebook comes loaded with AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38 processor (512KB L2 cache, 2.2GHz), 1GB (512/512) DDR2 533 SDRAM of memory, 120GB 5400RPM of hard drive, Integrated Super-Multi drive (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM), 5-in-1 card reader, 14.1-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT Display w/ Acer CrystalBrite Technology, Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics, 802.11b/g WLAN, 10/100 LAN, V.92 modem and Windows Vista Home Premium. Acer Aspire 5050-4570. Turion 64 MK-38 / 2.2 GHz. RAM : 1 GB. HD : 120 GB. DVD?RW (?R DL) / DVD-RAM. WLAN : 802.11b/g. Vista Home Premium. 14.1inch Widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

#2 The Toshiba Satellite A215 notebook delivers cutting-edge technology that's built to match your lifestyle-mobile and multitasking. Systems feature the latest AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core mobile technology and big memory for optimal performance. A 15.4-inch diagonal WXGA TruBrite display shows off media from a DVD SuperMulti optical drive that reads and writes up to 11 formats. High speed wireless LAN 802.11b/g lets you work cable free.
The Toshiba Satellite A215-S7433 notebook computer comes loaded with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-55 processor, 2048MB DDR2 RAM of memory, 160GB of hard drive, DVD SuperMulti (+/-R dual layer) optical drive, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g, Express card, 5in1 card reader, ATI Radeon Xpress X1200 graphics, 15.4-inch WXGA TruBrite (1280x800), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium and 1 year warranty. Part # - A215-S7433/PSAFGU-01X002. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK55 Processor.

#3 Sony 15.4 in. VAIO NR notebook with XBRITE-ECO LCD technology exemplifies contemporary style in a mobile PC ideal for everyday productivity and entertainment. Boasting an aesthetic yet functional design, it will turn heads with its unpretentious charm. Enjoy superior performance with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Connect to wireless networks, such as your home network or public hotspots at cafs and airports, with wireless LAN technology. And build your own media library with the built-in CD/DVD burner. With its good looks and tools like these, the VAIO NR is a great PC for all your day-to-day computing endeavors.
Stylish Contemporary Design - Clean lines, a textured chassis and an aesthetic yet functional design give the VAIO NR notebook a very contemporary look and feel
Powerful Performance - This VAIO notebook runs with the super-powerful Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5250. It also features a roomy 200GB 4200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive and 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
Superior Technologies - Back up your media and store data with the notebook's integrated CD/DVD burner. Never be without Internet access with the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection
Everyday Entertainment - This notebook's XBRITE-ECO LCD technology delivers razor-sharp details and bold colors while conserving battery life, and its A/V Instant Mode allows you to watch movies, play music or view photos without booting up the operating system
Windows Vista Home Premium is easy to use and delivers new security and entertainment features
The Multimedia Card Reader helps you upload your photos and videos from your camera to the notebook; compatible with Memory Stick Duo, ExpressCard, Secure Digital, etc.
Conveniently located connectivity options include 4 USB ports and Memory Stick PRO slots
Experience your media like never before with the Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Compatible with DVD, DVD-R/RW/R DL, DVD+R/RW/R DL, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

you want dual core (the amd x2 or the intel core2duo) and if its vista, you would be better with 2gb (2048mb) of RAM

therefore i reccomend the Toshiba or the Sony

the toshiba has more RAM but the Sony has a better CPU and a bigger disk.

They are both good brands but the sony ones are usually a lot more than the toshibas

You could always get the sony and buy more ram memory if you need to but bear in moind that that could make it very expensive

I have my sony notebook for about 2 years, but don't have good experience on it and want to upgrade it for christmas. My friend just got the one Acer Aspire AS5050-4570 you mentioned at a deal price of $586
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=73266
He just does some basic surfing/emails/games/etc, and like it very much, I think it's a good option. How do you think of it?

1gb ram will be a bit slow for vista.

if you get the acer, check how much it would be to upgrade to 2gb

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice and suggestions.

I think Acer's are generally good machines. I have an old Laptop which still runs fine from the Windows 98 era :) . But i agree with Bennet, the more RAM you have the better. Also Dual Core is the way to go for Vista, Single core would struggle to compete with the power Dual Core in the Vista Environment.

yes the acer only has single core so it will be a bit slow but it will be more power efficient than the toshiba

Still Acer is a trustworthy brand, so you can't go far wrong with experience. You could always look at a duel core Acer laptop. Although i am not sure if they do any. Most likely they do.
See here for what looks to be a very good laptop indeed. I don't know about price though :P

Still Acer is a trustworthy brand

yeah but they are budget, whereas tosh and sony are high end

yeah but they are budget, whereas tosh and sony are high end

i agree ,don't expect much from the low end Acer ,good for email and surfing ,Games , maybe the microsoft windows games that are pre-install .my daughters friend have then hidden in the closet [from there fathers ],because they broke in the first year ,got replaced ,and then broke again after the guarantee was up. I bought my daughter a Compaq ,1 1/2 yrs old ,never had a minutes problem with it good for Internet and Collage work ,i have 4 broken laptops in the house right now ,raging from 5 -3 yrs old all are Toshiba

yeah quality laptops are worth the price. I got a thinkpad thats lasted me like 8/9 years. Still use it for college work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.