Hi,

The WLAN switch on my new Vaio laptop is switched to on but the light will not come on and the machine is not connecting to my wireless network. When i restart the machine the light comes on at first and it momentarily connects to the wireless but then the light goes out and it disconnects.

I used a light pro with the machine for the first time yesterday and hasn't worked since. i also had to start the machine in safe mode yesterday so may also have something to do with it.

Vaio support only open M-F and esupport I cannot even login to.

Please help - this is my business lifeline!

Thanks

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Hey Chris

I do not have any experience with the viaos as yet but as you say its your business lifeline try using the ethernet cable until you get your wlan switch up and running again. At least you dont have to loose business because of that.

Now what do you mean by WLAN switch is on but it does not connect? Maybe there is something wrong with the WLAN drivers. Maybe just maybe they need updating. Try restarting router again see may be that might work. As i said I have no experience with Vaio ut these would the first things i would suggest for someone facing trouble with their connections.

Raj

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem. Have you found anything helpful?

Thanks.

Hey guys - I just had the same problem and fixed mine real quick. It sounds crazy, but just grab the lower right side of the computer on top and below the side where the lan switch is and just pinch really hard... lights right back up!

I am having the exact same problem! Its so annoying, I have to use a wireless usb adapter which sticks out of my laptop. I sent an email to Sony using their email support... that was over 2 weeks ago - no reply. I've tried squeezing it, nothing happens. It tells me that the switch is not on - and it is clearly on.

Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue this morning. All of the sudden, my wireless LAN switch would not light up. I checked the sony site and actually found the solution to my particular problem. It seems that VAIO has a Smart Network Utility and you have to make sure the WLAN is on in there. Otherwise it won't matter if your physical switch is on.

Hope this helps some of you. Here is the link:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1000103&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=3806861&stateId=0%200%204867656

Hi there...
rshotkoski is right go to smart network and click the WLAN and click setting. you will see that it is turned off click the drop down menu and switch it on click apply and your wireless should work.

Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue this morning. All of the sudden, my wireless LAN switch would not light up. I checked the sony site and actually found the solution to my particular problem. It seems that VAIO has a Smart Network Utility and you have to make sure the WLAN is on in there. Otherwise it won't matter if your physical switch is on.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1000103&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=3806861&stateId=0%200%204867656

rshotkoski i love you, i had an account made just to thank you, that worked alright!

thanks fanx...it worked

thank you so much :)
x

hi. i have the same problem, and followed the steps listed in the thread, but could not find the listed items to click on.
my model is vgn-ar230g.
i performed a search on the computer, looked in program files but nothing came up. please help.
thanks.

this did not work for me, though being a ''youngin'' i am highly intelligent and my wlan was turned on in the utility as well as the physical switch..so why else would the computer turn its own wireless capability off..? this is driving me insane because the only other thing i can think of is the power management settings (certain power saving modes will trun wifi off to preserve energy) jeez i just want to break this thing..
!!!!!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its just a vista bug

I have an IBM laptop and sometimes the wireless light goes out for absolutely no reason. And if i diagnose the error it says "wireless is turned off". No shit!

I have had the same problem as all of you with the WLAN switch turning off. My take on it is that there is a loose connection inside the switch. The "squeezing" action is just wiggling the wires back into place temporarily. I think it was caused by poor chassis design so when we all picked up the laptop with our left hand near the switch (that's where it is on mine), we were bending the internal components slightly and causing the wires to come loose. If it's under warranty from Best Buy, etc I'm sure they would fix it, but it's always annoying to drop it off and be without it for a few days. In my case, I can usually push on the switch itself a little and wiggle it into a place where it says on. The trick on mine is to push it right (to turn on) and then back to the left right before it clicks off, that's the "sweet spot" where it's on for me. Hope that helps.

Hey guys - I just had the same problem and fixed mine real quick. It sounds crazy, but just grab the lower right side of the computer on top and below the side where the lan switch is and just pinch really hard... lights right back up!

So hilarious! Squeenzing the VIAO above and below the WLAN switched worked. My 2006 VIAO WLAN card has been acting up and have used the WLAN Utility a few times. Today the indicator light would not go on and the utiltity did not work. So I tried squeezing the laptop and the indicator light went on. Now the VIAO is reading my wireless network.

Shows that the WLAN card and/or switch is a bit faulty right?

Member Avatar for ericstern

I am not fully sure but I've worked with some Vaio's and if the " VAIO Smart Network utility" did not work you could try to find an application/program that is called "SmartWi" which also controls digitally your connections.
Perhaps SmartWi is that same as the "VAIO Smart Network utility"?

Hi Everyone,

<snipped "fake" sig link. Check the rules.>

I have the same problem, squeezing did not work, so I called SONY. They knew what was wrong and wanted $50 dollars to fix the problem, I WILL NEVER BUY A SONY COMPUTER AGAIN. I have had this computer a little over a year, sony is a piece of S&%T. And yes the SmartWI is enabled...any ideas????

I have had this computer a little over a year, sony is a piece of S&%T

Sucks to live in america. Dont you guys have any consumer protection laws?

Over here in the UK, we have the Sale Of Goods Act. if we can prove a product is inherently faulty, not as described, or not fit for use (e.g a known manufacturing defect makes laptops power jacks snap off) we have a right to a free satisfactory repair (within 1 year we need only make a clain and the onus is on them to prove that its not faulty). After that (up to a period of 4-6 years) , the onus shifts so that we (the consumer) must prove that it was inherently faulty (from time of sale - as the contract is with the retailer. , e.g. faulty design, and not fit for purpose), and they may challenge it.

Maybe check if there are any laws which can help you?

Had the very same problem! And followed the link and it worked! very happy thank you x

Thank you very much, the suggestion has been usefull, I solved problem by following the instructions of the link.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you rshot! That link was very useful. Although I didn't have that same icon on the system tray that the Sony website was referring too, I did find a similar one that did THE EXACT TRICK. :-)
Now my WLAN LED light turns on. If only the network that I keep on creating in Windows Vista AND on NETGEAR would show up on the wireless networks (using N spectrum)

You are a god!!!!!!!!!

thank you

thank u rshotkoski

thanks, i always delete extra utilities from the sony,they only make system heavier and slow down the performance. use windows wireless default utility.

There is an icon in the system tray that can be used to open the SmartWi Connection Utility software. If possible, click this icon and skip to step 3.

SmartWi Connection Utility icon

NOTE: If the SmartWi Connection Utility is not available, use Windows Mobility Center to turn on the WLAN adapter.

1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs .
2. In the All Programs menu, click SmartWi Connection Utility and then click SmartWi Connection Utility to open the application.
3. In the SmartWi Connection Utility window, in the Wi-Fi section, click ON .

rshotkoski thank you so much...godbless you....

I believe my Wireless Switch is physically broken. And I am in the SmartWi Connection Utility but it will not stay in the "on" position. Any other way to turn on wireless with a physically broken switch?

The physical wireless switch is turned on but the indicator light for WLAN is not on.
Solution

If the physical wireless switch is turned on but the indicator light for WLAN is not lit, Wireless Lan may be disabled in the VAIO Smart Network utility.

Follow the procedure below to enable Wireless LAN in the VAIO Smart Network utility.

Double-click the VAIO Smart Network icon in the system tray.
NOTE: If the system tray icon is not available, open the VAIO Smart Network utility .

In the VAIO Smart Network window, click the indicator button next to WLAN .
NOTE: When Wireless LAN is enabled, the indicator button will display a green light

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.