I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS690P and recently there has been some grinding from just below the F12 button. I unscrewed all the screws (except for the 1 special one that Sony conveniently added that needs a special screw driver to remove). I am fairly certain that it is the processor fan. The HDD is just off center beneath the mouse, so I don't think that it is the HDD.

My system does run, but very slowly. Twice now I've gotten a Windows "Blue screen of death" and had to restart. I'm afraid to keep using my laptop in fear of burning out the processor.

SO my question is, 1) can you purchase just a new fan for a Sony Laptop? 2) any tips on how to remove the special Sony screw beneath my machine? 3) Do you think there is any permanent damage to my processor? 4) any thoughts that this might not be the processor fan? 5) if there is permanent damage to the processor where can I purchase replacement parts? (preferably cheap ones).

Thank so much everyone!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS690P and recently there has been some grinding from just below the F12 button. I unscrewed all the screws (except for the 1 special one that Sony conveniently added that needs a special screw driver to remove). I am fairly certain that it is the processor fan. The HDD is just off center beneath the mouse, so I don't think that it is the HDD.

My system does run, but very slowly. Twice now I've gotten a Windows "Blue screen of death" and had to restart. I'm afraid to keep using my laptop in fear of burning out the processor.

SO my question is, 1) can you purchase just a new fan for a Sony Laptop? 2) any tips on how to remove the special Sony screw beneath my machine? 3) Do you think there is any permanent damage to my processor? 4) any thoughts that this might not be the processor fan? 5) if there is permanent damage to the processor where can I purchase replacement parts? (preferably cheap ones).

Thank so much everyone!

yes you can buy a fan for it ,search e-bay for an idea of price .
and the special screw is usually cover for wireless device .and i remove it with a very small flat/straight screw driver .possible it could just be really dirty . i searched e-bay to no avail for you model .but did find others just to give you an idea of price range .
http://search.ebay.ca/Sony-Vaio-cpu-fan_Desktop-Laptop-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQdfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfromZR2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ31530QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQssPageNameZRC0021QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120 .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.