Hi im new here and im sure everyone is sick of seeing these problems with compaq 2100 notebook. I have a problem with the power and battery. Sometimes the computer wont charge the battery and wont run on A/C alone. When it does charge the battery it makes this awful screeching noise. I have to jiggle the cord around just to get it to work but now im afraid it done. Its not working anymore. I have heard that the internal A/C power component of the computer is connected to the motherboard and that i would have to but another motherboard. Is there any other way to fix this extremely annoying problem without buying a motherboard? is there any other way that i can charge up the battery, something like an external battery charger that i can use to charge the battery so that i can get all of my useful info off of the computer?

I will never buy an HP/Compaq again i hope that they go out of business and finally rid us of their shoddy products and crappy customer service. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

The 2100 series notebooks come with various problems. DC connector issues are only one of them. I you're stateside we'd be glad to repair this for you. Its an easy fix and wont be a problem unless it arc'd to the point of board replacement. (Not too often) Or if you'd like us to help you repair yourself thats also an option. We see a ton of people in these forums who were successful at the "repair it yourself". But I also get a few laptops in that werent. Just contact us back through the forum if you need help. ken@ikenfixit.com

Hi ken thanks for responding to my post, i was wondering if you could tell me how to repair it because i want to learn how to do it myself. I have been to your website and its really nice. i will be emailing you or calling you later today. Thanks Josh

Not a problem.. Have a pencil tupe soldering iron? And some electronix solder? Yer gonna need em... Folks I'm seeing a ton of issues on the 2100 series notebooks. If you have problems give us a buzz if you need help! www.ikenfixit.com

I am having the same problem with my presario 2100. I was wondering what to do also. I just bought an extended warrenty with compaq, but I have to wait a month until they will let me send it in. Could you give me any suggestions on how to fix. I tried opening my computer and I can't even get it open. It gets hung up in the middle, don't know what I am missing. Please help!! Thank you
Jbbarrett@att.net

You have to completely dismantle the lower section of the laptop. You need to be careful of static discharge. (No fuzzy pink rabbit slippers).. Work on a Kitchen table, Hard surface floors. And if you can you should wear a static strap.. (Discharghes minute ammts of static to ground, Even static you cant see can render your RAM and other sensitive components inop) A grounded soldering iron is also advisable, (isolates the possibility of discharge here as well) Motherboard has to be removed and the connector needs resoldered. Scrape any carbon deposits carefully from the blades on the connector prior to resolder.. I generally pull them completely and check and clean. Good luck!
Ken LaDere
www.ikenfixit.com

thank you, I will try it hopefully I won't screw it up!!

Thanks again

Just take your time and I'm sure you will get it done right.. Its not rocket science.. Good luck!

Hi im new here and im sure everyone is sick of seeing these problems with compaq 2100 notebook. I have a problem with the power and battery. Sometimes the computer wont charge the battery and wont run on A/C alone. When it does charge the battery it makes this awful screeching noise. I have to jiggle the cord around just to get it to work but now im afraid it done. Its not working anymore. I have heard that the internal A/C power component of the computer is connected to the motherboard and that i would have to but another motherboard. Is there any other way to fix this extremely annoying problem without buying a motherboard? is there any other way that i can charge up the battery, something like an external battery charger that i can use to charge the battery so that i can get all of my useful info off of the computer?

I will never buy an HP/Compaq again i hope that they go out of business and finally rid us of their shoddy products and crappy customer service. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, I saw you problem concerning your battery and AC power. I am wondering If you received any good solution, I am having the same problem. Thanks - the chapel

Hello, I saw you problem concerning your battery and AC power. I am wondering If you received any good solution, I am having the same problem. Thanks - the chapel

I checked my warrenty info before I went to repair it myself. It was covered and I just got it back it took 4 days and it works wonderful now.

I also own a laptop with a terrible internal battery which never seemed to charge quite right. I'm not sure whether or not this would help your situation any but my final solution was to pick up a batterygeek ultra high capacity external laptop battery which is giving me over 6+ hours of run time per charge. Also, they have a full 1 year extended replacement warranty. They also offer some nifty free gifts... Thier website is at www.batterygeek.net

Best of luck,

Adam

The 2100 series notebooks come with various problems. DC connector issues are only one of them. I you're stateside we'd be glad to repair this for you. Its an easy fix and wont be a problem unless it arc'd to the point of board replacement. (Not too often) Or if you'd like us to help you repair yourself thats also an option. We see a ton of people in these forums who were successful at the "repair it yourself". But I also get a few laptops in that werent. Just contact us back through the forum if you need help. ken@ikenfixit.com

Ken,
I tried your e-mail several times, and it bounces ("The message could not be delivered because the recipient's mailbox is full"). I also tried to email your West Coast reference, and my message to him also bounced. I need to get my Compaq Presario 2100 series functioning again. How can I contact you?

After lots of running slow, I tried to reinstall WinXp Home from the CD, but it hung because it couldn't find a file. Thereafter, pressing the power button gives a momentary flickering of the drive light, and the unit goes through another start up. It does this 3 or 4 times, and finally just sits there. No screen, no dick activity, and only fan noises. The CD drive works, but doesn't help. The multiple attempts to start up happened in the past, but the unit eventually booted, and all was well.

Oh, forgot to mention; after a year of extended warranty where the unit went back up to Fremont, CA three times, this all happened one week after I forgot to renew the extended warranty again. HP is finally off the hook, and I have a laptop (with lots of needed data) that does not work.

I have the same problem. The battery is dead and it won't charge or run off of the power adapter unless I move the cord around and tweak it. I've heard you can purchase external chargers but that would only last for a couple hours.

I wonder if you have seen this problem before...My Compaq Presario 2100 won't charge my battery. It also won't switch over to battery mode when A/C is unplugged. What I did so far:
Checked power on the battery - full charge
Unplugged A/C, power shut down within minute. No indicator that battery was low.
Install a new APC battery - empty. Plug in A/C overnight. No charge on new battery.

I don't think that it is connection. It may be the battery monitoring chip or something (not switching over to battery mode, charging, etc...).

Thanks for all your help.

Just a note. there are a lot of laptops that have this internal power adapter problem. you can find your replacement part on ebay for real cheap.... but please people dont go diving into your laptop... if you feel you can do this repair your self go very slow. hint: take pics print them out, tape the screws to that pic and continue.. make notes that you can read... you will soon have a pc that was once in one piece now in 20 pieces pluss many screws... and a very big note your pc does not like heat so soldering must be done very very carefully. and if you screw that up plan on buying a mobo for the same money that you bought your laptop for.

well ill jump off the soap box. if any of you have a problem just ask.. if you cant fix it your self you can email me and ill tell you how to or ship it to my shop and ill fix it.

thanks

mr.clark

clarks_parts@comcast.net

Not a problem.. Have a pencil tupe soldering iron? And some electronix solder? Yer gonna need em... Folks I'm seeing a ton of issues on the 2100 series notebooks. If you have problems give us a buzz if you need help! www.ikenfixit.com

Ken fx
I am glad I ran into your discussion. two months ago I was using the 2100 and the next morning it did not work. The only thing slightly different was the AC connector had not been plugging in as tight it use to. Yet it continued to work. Then nothing, yet the transf. is ok.
I sent for a manual on disk trying to make sure I wouldn't have extra parts after I dissected this unit. Believe me before HP, Compaq was a decent company. My first box after Charlie Chaplins IBMer was a Compaq and I have had several notebooks, one got ran over by a limo in Vegas and kept working.
This is another story, only a few months old and from what I gather you believe that resoldering the connection should fix. That beats HP's "We can replace your board for $800." I told them a lifetime of color laser printers was the only way I wood pay them that kind of money.
So, does one start at the bottom taking out all screws or is there a couple of key screws that will allow the top cover to release around the keyboard?

Hi..Im a new comer to this website..I have a problem in ma laptop battery slot..I Purchased a new laptop battery & when i tried in my laptop it wasnt charging..I checked the laptop battery in another Compaq presario laptop & it was charging perfectly..Is there any ways 2 change my laptop battery slot..Iv also sent an email to [email]ken@ikenfixit.com..Pls[/email] help me !!!

Hi,

I just found this site. I can't get my R3000 to charge either. I'm told I need to replace the motherboard. I would prefer to buy a new laptop at that cost. My issue is ALL MY ITUNES are on the laptop. I need to get it powered up to burn them on to cd. There are a ton of songs on there. I need a way to charge the battery outside of the computer. Is this possible? Do they make external battery chargers??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.