Hello,

I just purchased a Belkin KVM switch in order to switch between two computers at my workplace.

One computer is a very, very old Gateway (over 8yrs old) that runs Microsoft Server 2000. There is a program installed on that computer that my manager refuses to lose access to, which is why that computer isn't out in the trash by now. (We don't have the install CD for the program any more, and I can't find them for purchase.) Basically, getting rid of that computer is not an option, but our company software won't run on it, so that's why I needed to buy the new computer.

The other computer is a brand-new Dell.

I purchased a PS2 Belkin KVM switch even though the Dell only has USB ports, as I intended to use PS2-to-USB adaptors to plug the cables into the Dell.

When I try to use the switch, the old Gateway functions just fine. When I switch to the new Dell and try to boot it up, it gives me a keyboard error, and the keyboard won't work.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I might try to get the switch working?

Hello,

I just purchased a Belkin KVM switch in order to switch between two computers at my workplace.

One computer is a very, very old Gateway (over 8yrs old) that runs Microsoft Server 2000. There is a program installed on that computer that my manager refuses to lose access to, which is why that computer isn't out in the trash by now. (We don't have the install CD for the program any more, and I can't find them for purchase.) Basically, getting rid of that computer is not an option, but our company software won't run on it, so that's why I needed to buy the new computer.

The other computer is a brand-new Dell.

I purchased a PS2 Belkin KVM switch even though the Dell only has USB ports, as I intended to use PS2-to-USB adaptors to plug the cables into the Dell.

When I try to use the switch, the old Gateway functions just fine. When I switch to the new Dell and try to boot it up, it gives me a keyboard error, and the keyboard won't work.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I might try to get the switch working?

I ran into a similare problem awhile back and was able to get my new computer to get past the keyboard error by setting the bios settings to not halt on errors. Another less glam way you could work around it would be to just leave aps2 keybord on the new dell once it boots your usb keyboard should be ok.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.