I just built a new system P4 prescott 3.0 ghz, 1GB Kingston pc3200 Ram, 80 gb serial ata drive with an MSI 865PE Platinum motherboard and Aspire ATXB3KLW/350W case. For some reason, my front and rear usb ports do not function in windows. The additional 2 that I have in the back occupying a slot above the agp slot has lights flashing so it is getting power. There are also 2 in the front that I am positive I have plugged in correctly into the mobo (5pin over 4pin connection). Everything is enabled in the BIOS as far as I can tell but still no luck? The USB ports located directly on my mobo work fine, any ideas? This is like the last thing I have to get working right on my new PC. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Windows updates installed? A standard Windows XP installation can have issues with some USB setups.

you could have a problem as USB will take an interrupt out of your system and you may not have a free one. if you have PCI IRQ steering things should be alright. if not look at COM or LPT ports you disable to recover an interrupt.it might help.

I just built a new system P4 prescott 3.0 ghz, 1GB Kingston pc3200 Ram, 80 gb serial ata drive with an MSI 865PE Platinum motherboard and Aspire ATXB3KLW/350W case. For some reason, my front and rear usb ports do not function in windows. The additional 2 that I have in the back occupying a slot above the agp slot has lights flashing so it is getting power. There are also 2 in the front that I am positive I have plugged in correctly into the mobo (5pin over 4pin connection). Everything is enabled in the BIOS as far as I can tell but still no luck? The USB ports located directly on my mobo work fine, any ideas? This is like the last thing I have to get working right on my new PC. Thanks!

I have to agree that the problem more than likely will be with XPnot having the latest service pack. Try that out first.

I have to agree that the problem more than likely will be with XPnot having the latest service pack. Try that out first.

Ive got SP2, how would I make sure there is no IRQ conflict?

If those lights on the back are in a group of 4 they are for system diagnostics and are connected to a second connector to the MB and do not go to the USB port.

The additional USB are sometimes enabled in the BIOS.

I have also seen manuals incorrectly show PIN 1 for the USB ports incorrectly.
Pin 1 should have +5vdc and have a red wire from your front connectors
pin 2 is data -
pin 3 is data +
Pin 4 is ground
Pin 5 is ground (and often unused)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.