I am going to use a game to point this out

my current system is a cleron 2.2Ghz, 512Mb pc2100, and a 9600XT
I get 10-20 FPS in Counter strike: source

will a AMd 64 3400+ with 1GB pc3200, and the 9600Xt help me get more then 50FPs?

I know this probaly can't be answered, but u can always give it a try. :mrgreen:

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rcrevolution

Um... probably so.

More, faster memory, and a faster processor will almost always give you greater FPS in a game. You didn't tell us what motherboard you were upgrading to, though. Have you given that a thought, because you can't stick an AMD chip in a board made for an Intel.

....do u think im stupid?

of course im getting a different motherboard built for the amd 64, but u dont get any performance boost from a motherboard with probaly the exception of the chipset, thats why I didnt add it.

Im getting a DFI , with Nforce3 250Gb

So are u saying there a chance I won't get any improvement?
I dont now how upgrading from a celeron, thats not even designed for gaming, to a AMD 64 3400+ won't give me better FPS.

I know it is mostly the video card's job, but look at this, I won't get 50+ fps with a 6800Ultra and a celeron, because the cpu is too slow.

I'm not sure on the specific framerate figures for CS:Source, but I think 40 - 50 fps with a 9600XT card is perfectly achievable. The difference between a Celeron and an Athlon64 is quite dramatic indeed!

can I overclock a amd 64 3400+ from 2.2Ghz to 2.6 safely, if I buy a better heat sink and fan?

In short, Yes (to the first question) and yes to the most recent.
With a decent heatsink and fan, SLK, Hyper6 or similar.

p.s. why did you choose a 64bit chip to compare with the celeron (of all things).
Asside from the fact u dont/wont have a 64bit Operating system for some considerable time, Nor will you have 64bit capable games, specificly CS:S.
The point im getting at is, " Its a big fat waste of money for many months, untill 64bit software is readily available, plus of course the 64bit capable games "
Oh, and drivers to work on said games/OS's

i compared it to a celeron cause thats what I got now and Im upgrading to a Amd 64, and besides XP 64 is going to be released very shortly because the demos are out already, and HP makes a computer with the full version of XP 64. as for the games, ill just run them in 32-bit mode, they dont need to be 64-bit compatible to run ok on a 64.
as for the games, many are already making the transition. Farcry has a 64-bit version coming out shortly.

BTW I probaly won't be able to buy this system until december right around christmas.

ReDuX, the reason for choosing an Athlon64 is that it performs better than Pentium 4 in 32-bit operation. It's a chip with 64-bit extensions, not a 'pure' 64-bit chip.

There are only a scant few specific program applications in which Pentium 4 is still the performance leader in, and Athlon64 is also the leader for price and for running cooler. People are choosing it because it's the better processor ;)

what Catweazle basicaly means is the Amd 64 is the P4's papi. :mrgreen: Go redsox!

This review contrasts the current highest performance Pentium 4 and Pentium 4 EE processors with the AMD range. Both applications and games benchmarks are used, and the results are rather clearcut, I believe.

Until the dual-core processors from Intel come out sometime next year (late next year I suspect) Intel is most definitely playing catch-up, with processors that are hotter running and more expensive ;)

I have another question, I am really looking into the 6800GT at $392, not the Ultra too much $$$.

well What perfromance and graphics detail can I see over the 9600Xt with the GT?

and how long will these video cards be the top of the line? (before i need to upgrade)

because when I bought my 9600Xt the XT models were just coming out and where the best cards you could buy, and now they're crap.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.