Glad to join the group. Hope I can get some help. I have had this compacq for several years now. Working fine til I left it on , went to do something, came back and the only sign of life were the power and battery lights. Tried to power the computer by holding the button for a minute or more (suggezted in another forum somewere), Nothing happened. Removed the battery and tried again, nothing happened. Inserted the battery. Now no battery light. The only thing I can recall happening before this was perhaps the machine starting to boot up slower than usual.
I know the computer is old but I need to access it at least one more time so I can retrieve files which I need> After that I guess I'll have to buy a new one. So if I can get suggestions on how to try to start it by doing something inside the machine I'm game. Please no technical terms. I can find how things work an follow directions very well but technical terms is not my thing. (logical geek??).
Anyway the more answers I get the more ways I get to try .

Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

the hard drive can be removed and hooked to another computer and filrs retrieved ,to do this you need a usb device of sorts ,like a usb external hard drive case for a laptop size hard drive .or take out the hardrive and take it to good local computer shop and they will retrieve files for a small fee .

the hard drive can be removed and hooked to another computer and filrs retrieved ,to do this you need a usb device of sorts ,like a usb external hard drive case for a laptop size hard drive .or take out the hardrive and take it to good local computer shop and they will retrieve files for a small fee .

Hi and welcome

This post actually says it all. If you can remove the hard drive, then youll be able to get all data from it and store on another machine or even better just use it as an external [hard drive connected to USB] hard drive

Hi and welcome

This post actually says it all. If you can remove the hard drive, then youll be able to get all data from it and store on another machine or even better just use it as an external [hard drive connected to USB] hard drive

thanks for proof reading my post .lol

Thanks for your suggestion. Now, a little explanation before I commit to extracting the hard drive. Does the hard drive comes out with a usb port included or do I have to wire one to the hard drive? (I told you, I need directions from you guys) Do I need to get just the usb cables and connect the hard drive to my Dell computer or do I need some other hardware piece in order to make it work?
Thanks in advance

Hi Caperjack:
well, I followed your advise and went and bought a harddrive case for the 2 1/2 hard drive. So let's consider that problem solved. Now,... I open the hard drive connecting it to my pc but what I see is a large number of folder and files that have no meaning to me. Do I have to restore my drive? Did I loose all my files? I'am at a loss here, Please help!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.