I am thinking of upgrading the ram in my laptop. it has 256k in it and i think that it is a pc2100 module that operates at 266 megahertz.
The computer has an empty slot, so i can add a module easily. My question is does the new ram have to be the same speed as the original? it is a 200 pin slot and this is in a hp ze4805 pavilion. It has xp home. would xp pro speed it up enough to be worth the expense?
thanks
dan

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You should be able to use PC2700 or PC3200 RAM in it, although the faster module will only operate at the speed of the slower one. You may find incompatibilities between different modules, so it's best to have an agreement with the vendor so that you can return it if the module proves unsuited to your PC. Such incompatibilities relate to the way different manufacturers have assembled the RAM modules, rather than to their respective speed ratings. Fastewr RAM is generally backwards compatible.

XP Home will NOT speed things up. It's the same OS as XP Home, but with some extra features added.

XP Home will NOT speed things up. It's the same OS as XP Home, but with some extra features added.

This statement brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. ;)

Mean to say XP Pro won't be any faster than Home, perhaps?

Yeah, that!!!!

LOL :D

NOOOO!! the moderator screwed up, its all over !!! we're all gonna die!!! :lol:

I was searching the web for some answers and found your thread.

I tried to add ram to my ZE4805, but it did not recognize it. I had 256 and got 512. I tried it in both slots, but it only saw the original 256. If I only had the 512 in, it didn't do anything.

I know I'm doing something simple wrong. Can one of you help?

Thanks, Mark

You should be able to use PC2700 or PC3200 RAM in it, although the faster module will only operate at the speed of the slower one. You may find incompatibilities between different modules, so it's best to have an agreement with the vendor so that you can return it if the module proves unsuited to your PC. Such incompatibilities relate to the way different manufacturers have assembled the RAM modules, rather than to their respective speed ratings. Fastewr RAM is generally backwards compatible.

Welcome to Dani Web,

What make and model RAM did you puchase, and did you use their plugin system to find your module?

One other question, is your laptop the ZE4805us?

Hello. I have an older HP laptop, maybe a few years old. Under the screen, above the speakers, it says model "hp pavilion ze4800", however underneath the laptop it says model "ze4805us". Which model is it? I ask because I want to upgrade to the best ram possible. 512mb or 1gb? pc2100 or pc3200? Please help. Thanks.

badjedi

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.