I have two Thinkpad R50s', one of which I cannot reboot as it's a victim of BSOD. Question: can I simply take out the hard drive of the downed computer and put it in the other to check to see if it's okay?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

because they are the same you should be able to it ,i do it with 2 older Toshiba's that are the same

Another option is using data recovery style programs if you don't want to physically remove the drives. I use Selkie Rescue (http://selkierescue.com) personally. It doesn't matter if windows is working or not and will connect through a network or cross-over cable.

Another option is using data recovery style programs if you don't want to physically remove the drives. I use Selkie Rescue (http://selkierescue.com) personally. It doesn't matter if windows is working or not and will connect through a network or cross-over cable.

good idea im sure ,but there was no mention of looking to recover data ,just swapping drives .

also just like to say it might work as i suggested but if you bsod is caused by bad ram there would be no point in changing drives

good idea im sure ,but there was no mention of looking to recover data ,just swapping drives .

also just like to say it might work as i suggested but if you bsod is caused by bad ram there would be no point in changing drives

Sorry - that is true. The reason I brought up the data recovery tool is because of the BSOD - and I found that software worked very well for me in that instance, when in the past I tended to just pull the drives out physically to get the data off. I made the (possibly wrong) assumption that recovering the data would be one big reason to make sure the drive still works.

if they are the same hatrdware, windows should boot.

Sucess!!!! I was able to boot up the BSOD Hard Drive victim on the other Thinkpad. Did a check disk, virus scan and cc Cleaner. Was running PC Doctor when I got the BSOD again. This time I took down the error info. Seems to be in "drvnddm.sys
page_fault_in nonpaged_area

Also, lately when I boot up I get the error message "wireless networking software incorrectly installed" I've never networked before and never used the software?

Any thoughts on the above, if the two are related and how to resolve.

Sorry, it took so long to respond to you and the others but tough working with a dead machine and someone elses laptop.

I have two Thinkpad R50s', one of which I cannot reboot as it's a victim of BSOD. Question: can I simply take out the hard drive of the downed computer and put it in the other to check to see if it's okay?

Yo Guys. I think my first reply went to jbennet only. So, wanted to make sure I thanked all of you for your help. Did manage to boot up the BSOD HD but later got the BSOD screen again, but this time got the error info which you'll find on my reply to jbennet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.