hello there...

My brother has asked me to ask you this question on his behalf as he isn't subscribed to daniweb

ok down to the boiling point... my brother is running xp professional on a new pc (i built for him) over the last two or three days my brother has been experiencing BSODS and computer freezing shortly beforehand. i have looked at his pC myself and it looks to me as if it might be an error within windows itself. i am not certain on that though. here is the technical info that i managed to obtain from a BSOD that came up twice in the space of about half hour.

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8016FA, 0xB8697A88, 0x00000000)
Win32k.sys - Address BF8016FA base at BF800000, Datestamp 422511a2

What does this mean and will i have to refort his hard disk for him again??:?:

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Hi Janine,

You can find info on the possible causes (and fixes) for that particular Stop Code error in the links returned by the following Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=STOP+0x0000008E+win32k.sys+0xC0000005&btnG=Search

Give some of those a try and let us know the results.

hi DMR.

thanks for the help on this particular stop error i think i might have located one problem from this. however i switched the particular pc on last night to see if anything different came up and unfortunately it brought up something about USB.sys (i cannot recall the exact error). Resulting from this i booted the particular machine into safe mode and accessed device manager. Looking into the device properties for the fast ethernet adaptor and the graphics card adaptor i looked and noted that the IRQ was the same and was the same for the usb as per other things. if it gives me a chance i might be able to save a print screen image to put up here.:-| any more ideas meanwhile.

Bus No
Device No

Func No

Vendor/Device

Class

Device Class

IRQ

3149 0104

Raid Controller

0571 0101

IDE Controller

3038 0C03

USB 1.0/1.1 VHCI Controller

3038 0C03

3038 0C03

3038 0C03

3104 0C03

USB 2.0 ECHI Controller

3059 0401

Multimedia Device

3065 0200

Network Controller

5960 8300

Display Controller

ACPI Controller

Bus No

Device No

Func No

Vendor/Device

Class

Device Class

IRQ

3149 0104

Raid Controller

0571 0101

IDE Controller

3038 0C03

3038 0C03

3038 0C03

3038 0C03

3104 0C03

USB 2.0 ECHI Controller

3059 0401

Multimedia Device

3065 0200

Network Controller

5960 8300

Display Controller

ACPI Controller

this post didnt come out as planned
please view nxt post

next post

Bus No Device No Vendor/device class Device class
0 15 1106 3149 0104 raid controller
0 15 0571 0101 ide controller
0 16 and 3038 0c03 usb 1.0/1.1 vhci controller
0 16 same ''
0 16 until and same ''
0 16 end til end ''
0 16 usb2 echi controller
0 17 3059 0401 multimedia device
0 18 3065 0200 network controller
1 0 1002 5960 8300 display controller
acpi controller

IRQs as follows in order of listed device

how do i reassign IRQs as i think this is what might be the cause. i got this from pressing pause/break at the right time on the start up.

mail me if this doesnt make sense and i'll mail u the document

1. If you can give us the exact "usb.sys" error that might be helpful. You might find more specific info for that, and perhaps the other problems, by doing the following:

Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel.

In the Event Viewer, look through the System and Application logs for entries flagged as "Warning" or "Error"; double-clicking on any of those entries will open a "details" window with more information about the error/warning. If you find any entries that seem to relate to the hangs/crashes that you're having, post the full and exact contents given in the detail windows.

2. The sharing of IRQs isn't usually a problem anymore, although it definitely was back in the days before PCI, "Plug-N-Play", and ACPI technologies were invented.

Since you haven't indicated that any recent hardware changes have been made to the system, the PCI/IRQ resource allocations of your installed hardware shouldn't have changed, but if you want to eliminate that possibility:

A) You can sometimes force a given device to use a specific IRQ or memory address range via the Resources tab in the device's Properties in Device Manager, but for the most part this rarely works. The issue is that modern operating systems and BIOSes do PCI resource allocation automatically, as opposed to the old (and pretty much manual) way that allocation was done with ISA devices.

B) There's one procedure which can often force a reallocation of resources though, and that is to physically change the slot ordering of the cards plugged into you PCI bus. When you start your computer, both the BIOS and Windows will enumerate (initialize) PCI devices based (to some extent) on the actual PCI slots in which the devices are installed; in "shuflfing" that order, you may be able to force the system to re-evaluate and reassign resources such as IRQs.

A couple of things to keep in mind regarding the placement/installation of devices (and Yoiks... just when did I decide that this should turn into a dissertation on PC architecture?!):

Some resources, including IRQs, are "reserved" by the system for use by core devices (keyboard, mouse, IDE drives/controllers, etc.). This is normal, and the system won't normally share those resources with another device if there's a possibility of conflict.

Additionally, your AGP graphics card (whether built into the motherboard or an actual AGP add-in card) usually shares resources with one of the PCI slots. The shared PCI slot is often, although not always, the slot closest to the AGP slot. It is a good idea not to install resource-intensive devices such as network cards or RAID controller cards in that shared PCI slot.

1. If you can give us the exact "usb.sys" error that might be helpful. You might find more specific info for that, and perhaps the other problems, by doing the following:

Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel.

In the Event Viewer, look through the System and Application logs for entries flagged as "Warning" or "Error"; double-clicking on any of those entries will open a "details" window with more information about the error/warning. If you find any entries that seem to relate to the hangs/crashes that you're having, post the full and exact contents given in the detail windows.

2. The sharing of IRQs isn't usually a problem anymore, although it definitely was back in the days before PCI, "Plug-N-Play", and ACPI technologies were invented.

Since you haven't indicated that any recent hardware changes have been made to the system, the PCI/IRQ resource allocations of your installed hardware shouldn't have changed, but if you want to eliminate that possibility:

A) You can sometimes force a given device to use a specific IRQ or memory address range via the Resources tab in the device's Properties in Device Manager, but for the most part this rarely works. The issue is that modern operating systems and BIOSes do PCI resource allocation automatically, as opposed to the old (and pretty much manual) way that allocation was done with ISA devices.

B) There's one procedure which can often force a reallocation of resources though, and that is to physically change the slot ordering of the cards plugged into you PCI bus. When you start your computer, both the BIOS and Windows will enumerate (initialize) PCI devices based (to some extent) on the actual PCI slots in which the devices are installed; in "shuflfing" that order, you may be able to force the system to re-evaluate and reassign resources such as IRQs.

A couple of things to keep in mind regarding the placement/installation of devices (and Yoiks... just when did I decide that this should turn into a dissertation on PC architecture?!):

Some resources, including IRQs, are "reserved" by the system for use by core devices (keyboard, mouse, IDE drives/controllers, etc.). This is normal, and the system won't normally share those resources with another device if there's a possibility of conflict.

Additionally, your AGP graphics card (whether built into the motherboard or an actual AGP add-in card) usually shares resources with one of the PCI slots. The shared PCI slot is often, although not always, the slot closest to the AGP slot. It is a good idea not to install resource-intensive devices such as network cards or RAID controller cards in that shared PCI slot.

i havent been made aware of any hardware changes that may have taken place recently but i do know that the radeon catalyst drivers have recently been updated. could that cause problems. regarding the AGP and PCI cards there is not one directly below the AGP card but there is one in the 2nd PCI slot.

regarding errors in the system and application logs... where do you want me to start.

here are some that come up frequently
event agent - tracelevel parameter not located in registry. default trace level used is 32
loadperf (whatever that means)

here are the system errors that i located in event viewer
error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005,parameter2 804ebfd9, parameter3 eddb2b2c parameter4 00000000
(error code 10000008e) parameter 1 c0000005, param2 804ecad5, param3 f58e7694, parameter4 00000000
(error code 10000008e) parameter 1 c0000005, param2 804ecad5, param3 f58e7694, parameter4 00000000
there are hundreds of variations of the same error code coming up here (i have 2 pages worth printed off. please let me know if you want all the errors posted up.

it looks to me like the registry might have gotten corrupted for a start and secondly the paramenters have all been messed up. this looks like a job for a microsoft pro. whats your opinion here??:!:

The update to the video drivers would definitely be a prime suspect. Go into video card's Properties windows in Device Manager, click on the Driver tab, and try the "Roll back dirver" option.

If that doesn't work, you may be able to use System Restore to roll the entire system back to a date just prior to when you started getting the STOP errors.

The update to the video drivers would definitely be a prime suspect. Go into video card's Properties windows in Device Manager, click on the Driver tab, and try the "Roll back dirver" option.

If that doesn't work, you may be able to use System Restore to roll the entire system back to a date just prior to when you started getting the STOP errors.

i have tried to roll back the driver and rolling the system back to a previous state (just after xp was installed on it). No joy as the errors still keep coming.
i have even tried a reformat only to have a STOP error occur when attempting the reformat. i dont think that this is software related more like hardware now. any suggestions. ;)

i dont think that this is software related more like hardware now.

Yeah- if it even bombs during a reformat, that does start ot point toward hardware.

Check your RAM first; Microsoft lists that as the primary cause of 0x8E errors, especially if they happen during the setup/reinstall process.

- Download and run the free memtest86 RAM-testing utility. It runs from a bootable CD or floppy, and it will do a pretty thorough battery "stress tests" of your RAM and give you the results of any errors it finds. Let the test cycle run for a few hours or more for the best results.

- If you've got more than one RAM module installed, run the computer with only one of the modules installed at a time. If you find that the system only crashes when one particular RAM module is being used, replace that module.

i told him it probably boiled down to the memory possibly having gone bad. somehow i get the impression he doesnt believe me cos hes taken the PC to work with him. he's a trainee PC technician.

he thinks its got something to do with the graphics card or the motherboard again. suppose anythings possible really in todays world of computing though i have to agree with you about the 0x8E errors (read two or three books over the last few days about these).

i wait and see what his workmates say and if they say what i've said i'll tell him 'i told u so';)

i told him it probably boiled down to the memory possibly having gone bad. somehow i get the impression he doesnt believe me cos hes taken the PC to work with him. he's a trainee PC technician.

he thinks its got something to do with the graphics card or the motherboard again. suppose anythings possible really in todays world of computing though i have to agree with you about the 0x8E errors (read two or three books over the last few days about these).

I understand what you're saying. I've worked with a lot of techs who misdiagnose a problem simpy because they don't keep an open mind and consider all of the options, or because in their training they were told that problem "X" is 99.9% of the time due to failure "Y", and they take that as "gospel".

However- he might very well be right. Microsoft really isn't very good at publishing the exact reasons for many of their STOP errors, but both RAM and video problems/conflicts are often listed as probable suspects for many of those errors. Part of the reason for that is that it's not uncommon for systems to dedicate/set aside a portion of general RAM for graphics use only; this obviously ties the two together in a way that can't be separated without further and more in-depth testing.

Regardless of the outcome, keep us posted. Any further information that you can post will obviously be helpful to our members as a whole.

The stop error you initialy encountered appears to be caused by a memory access violation during startup of the kernel. As DMR posted, Microsoft does list bad memory as the most likely cause, however, I have run into a similar problem during a XP install which was caused by the CD-Rom drive, of all things. Since the system seemed to be working prior to updating the video drivers, I would try uninstalling the device rather than rolling back the drivers, and perfrom a clean install of the drivers before reloading the OS. You should be able to remove the device in Safe mode and then you may need to force the drivers after you restart by telling Windows to use the new drivers from your driver disk rather than any existing drivers. If that doesn't work or if you must reload Windows, try removing the memory and only installing one stick at a time (if you have more than one) in the DIMM 1 slot to see if the error goes away. See the following links for more information.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315335&sd=RMVP
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCCodes_12795dee-19a9-4461-a135-bbb882b81455.xml.asp

ok guys, i'll keep u posted - dont worry about that. as i dont have the pc here with me at the present i cant try any of the things you've suggested BuggZ. however i will keep this is the back of my mind.

i'm also thinking that maybe the processor may have a fault. reason for this is that these blue screen errors appeared before when there was a different graphics card etc in there. everything from the motherboard to the memory was replaced then apart from the processor and heatsink.. researching i think that the problem might be L2 cache.

i will keep posted once i know for sure though as i dont like to say something then find its wrong.

i have an update for you.. the pc is still at my brothers workplace and they've only just begun to look at it this morning.

the update is that as soon as they turned the pc on the graphics card completely uninstalled itself. strange eh. maybe theres a virus lurking around in there too.. who knows. hopefully though it should be back on its desk tonight or tomorrow night. they are testing the mobo as i speak.

more updates soon. :)

hi there again

As promised more updates.. We have the computer back in its home position. The problem also baffled the technicians at PCWorld. They tested the motherboard etc but didnt find anything wrong with it. Reformatted and reinstalled windows xp and touch wood there wont be any more problems. it looked as though apparently the NTFS file system had been corrupted and had a leakage.

still least its functional now.

thanks for your help fellas:D

You're welcome. I hope the reinstall holds up. :)

You're welcome. I hope the reinstall holds up. :)

Its holding up to a certain degree but we're still getting errors crop up occasionally:)

i downloaded a utility but its not a commercial program. it seems to have found an error in the memory dump which is part of the processor. the program is called 'debugging tools for windows'

Can you post the contents of the dump?

Can you post the contents of the dump?

Yes... heres what i could understand of it. :D

bf9e3645 750b jnz ati2dvag+0x10652 (bf9e3652)

bf9e3647 49 dec ecx

bf9e3648 8b06 mov eax,[esi]

bf9e364a 8907 mov [edi],eax

bf9e364c 83c604 add esi,0x4

bf9e364f 83c704 add edi,0x4

bf9e3652 51 push ecx

bf9e3653 c1e903 shr ecx,0x3

bf9e3656 83f900 cmp ecx,0x0

bf9e3659 7427 jz ati2dvag+0x10682 (bf9e3682)

bf9e365b 0f6f06 movq mm0,qword ptr [esi]

bf9e365e 0f6f4e08 movq mm1,qword ptr [esi+0x8]

bf9e3662 0f6f5610 movq mm2,qword ptr [esi+0x10]

bf9e3666 0f6f5e18 movq mm3,qword ptr [esi+0x18]

bf9e366a 0f7f07 movq qword ptr [edi],mm0 ds:0023:00000028=????????????????

bf9e366d 0f7f4f08 movq qword ptr [edi+0x8],mm1

bf9e3671 0f7f5710 movq qword ptr [edi+0x10],mm2

bf9e3675 0f7f5f18 movq qword ptr [edi+0x18],mm3

bf9e3679 83c720 add edi,0x20

bf9e367c 83c620 add esi,0x20

bf9e367f 49 dec ecx

bf9e3680 75d9 jnz ati2dvag+0x1065b (bf9e365b)

bf9e3682 59 pop ecx

bf9e3683 83e107 and ecx,0x7

bf9e3686 743c jz ati2dvag+0x106c4 (bf9e36c4)

bf9e3688 f7c104000000 test ecx,0x4

bf9e368e 7414 jz ati2dvag+0x106a4 (bf9e36a4)

bf9e3690 0f6f06 movq mm0,qword ptr [esi]

heres the actual one thats causing the error.

Bf9e366a 0f7f0f movq qward ptr [edi], mm0 ds:0023: 00000c28=????????????????

looks like a processor fault to me.

UPDATE ON THIS

Run Linux Knoppix 3.9 on the system with the stop error problem and the system is still crashing. i think it rules a problem with the operating system itself. it's crashing after about an hour with linux. no errors are coming up but its randomly freezing and im having to hard reboot.

any ideas now?? i've reformatted the hard disk god knows how many times.

im veering off on the idea of the processor being at fault

pls help. im running out of ideas:confused:

Sounds more like a heat related problem. Since you have Knoppix you can run memtest at the boot prompt. If you can get through memtest then I would suspect the processor is overheating for some reason. Have you checked the thermal pad/grease between the heatsink and the chip? Otherwise I'd try a different processor if available.

Sounds more like a heat related problem. Since you have Knoppix you can run memtest at the boot prompt. If you can get through memtest then I would suspect the processor is overheating for some reason. Have you checked the thermal pad/grease between the heatsink and the chip? Otherwise I'd try a different processor if available.

i have thought that it could be a heat issue and checked to make sure that the fans were all running correctly and that the thermal pad is ok. that all seems to be fine. memory has also been swapped out of that PC into another one and vice versa so i doubt its a memory fault. the only thing i havent done yet is to try another processor (for the record i have another machine running with the same model of processor and that doesnt crash whatsoever). im thinking maybe to swap out the processors for a short time and try the processor in the good and working machine in this one and see what happens.

dont know if it makes any difference but he reformatted again last night after having stop error 'DRIVER IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL' I wasnt in the room when he was doing this but he's told me that it was blue screening through the reformat and setup routine. he also had 'page fault in non paged area' come up while i was in the room. this tells me there is a hardware issue. i will attatvh a document i have found for you guys to read.

its called common stop messages. you'll need a version of acrobat reader to read it though:cool:

hi ppl.

notice that theres been nothing said about the document i submitted to you.

i've noticed something that i dont think is at all right (maybe you are right buggz - about it being a heating problem)

shortly before the machine goes off on a blue screening episode i have noticed (by watching) that the CPU fan seems to slow right down - almost to a complete stop for a few seconds then it begins to spin fast again. this is confusing me as to why this is happening and what it could possibly mean:confused:

in the meantime though i have brought a new heatsink assembly and am going to fit that over the next few days. i am sooo confused over this.

Hi,

Try updating all drivers on the PC; chipset, video, sound, NIC, modem, Windows update and anything else.

Sam

all the drivers andwhat not are fully updated and windows update runs automatically once a week. i schedule all may maintenance to run over the weekend.

seems to be fine now i whacked the new heatsink in anyway.

Hey there, I am having errors with my computer too. Same thing happens. I'm thinking that maybe it's just xp pro, try see if you can get a xp home to test it out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.