Bought a new computer in May/08 and the blue screen crashes started in about a month. Yes its a NVidia driver GT 8500. I am running XP Pro, Clone system, Intel Quad Core Q6600, ASUS P5K-E WIFI Motherboard, 4GB of RAM, 500G HD, etc. with all the latest service pak updates. I have taken the computer back to the shop a zillion times now, they replaced the motherboard with latest ASUS, because some motherboards have an NVidia chip built in, and it was reported that they may be faulty, replaced the graphics card and its only Oct. I have uninstalled, re-installed several times while updating the driver.

When you go to the NVidia site you can read all about the bugs and fixes they have been working on, as they come out with updated drivers at a rate of 1-2 sometimes MORE a month. Theses bugs are for a whole series of drivers from the 5's to 9's. The only thing that stopped my crashes was to go and disable the driver but then you have no graphics, so that's useless unless you do not use graphics. Seems to me that NVidia has a major problem here and all should avoid them. My solution might be for me to return the whole system (still under warranty), and start from scratch. The last suggestion was to wipe and HD clean, re-install the XP Pro and all the software, now that's a fun job!

Interested in anyone that has a more recent video graphics card similar problem, since the forum seems to be dealing with older products.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

i also have a problem with my graphics card, have a 9500gt, it all is well untill i play games i get this most iritating glitches or whatever you call it. havent taken my card back to much of an effort, when i downloaded a new driver a few days ago, it seemed to have gone better for a while but then it happend again, re-installed my drivers and games just not xp but still have the problem! think it has to be something with the card itself!

I am just about to upgrade to an ASUS 9800 GT and will let you know. Make sure to upgrade your MS Service Pak to 3. The problem, if you research it futher, is that NVIDIA supplies the chips for many of the manufacturers, so although I am optimistic switching to another brand may work, I believe it is still an NVIDIA chip.

i also have a problem with my graphics card, have a 9500gt, it all is well untill i play games i get this most iritating glitches or whatever you call it. havent taken my card back to much of an effort, when i downloaded a new driver a few days ago, it seemed to have gone better for a while but then it happend again, re-installed my drivers and games just not xp but still have the problem! think it has to be something with the card itself!

So I took the NVIDIA 8500 GT back and got a ASUS 9800 GT but it did not solve my blue screen problem, even after updating to the most current NVIDIA driver, so here we are once again with the "NVIDIA" driver. For some reason, when I am in this Government site and then close out of it, it blue screens, which probably has to do with a cache problem. Since it is a government site, it most likely wants to delete the cache (i.e. site address it was at) for protection, since in experimenting with other sites, this is the only one that does this. So there must be either a Bios time out or some sort of bios memory constraint which cause a critical error and a STOP blue screen crash. Since most graphic cards seem to use NVIDIA drivers, I would have to find a non NVIDIA graphics card to prove this out. Also, since graphics cards have been changed and updated and the problem still occurs, my conclusion would be that it is not the card or driver but possibly the MS XP Pro - OS, which was not properly installed in May/08, which would mean, re-installing the OS and all the software, etc. and what a time consuming, pain in the rear that is.

I had a problem with my 8800 bluescreening with nv4disp.dll and i used the most recent beta drivers and it went away

Been there, done that, did'nt work, for my problem that is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.