I recently aquired a dell optiplex gx150, it had no ram or harddrive, so after i bought the correct ram and installed a harddrive, i installed them (yes correctly) and i started it...it wont run, there is a orange light in the middle of the motherboard, i tried dissconecting the CD drive, to no avail, i took out all cards i could, still no help....advice?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

are you absolutely sure that you installed the correct RAM. Could you post which RAM you installed?

I forgot to mention when i hit the power button it beeps a couple of times.
RAM is a 512M PC-133

How many times, describe them
No display at all?

1 beep, then a big break, 3 in quick succsesion, then a small break, then another 2 in quick sucsession.

they are low and long...

if its one stick of 512MB that wont work. thats to much RAM for one slot. you need two 256MB sticks. PC133 is correct. the beep codes according to the dell website seem to be a memory issue. if you have the right RAM reseat them, if that doesn't work take them back for new ones.

RAM is def your problem. As compdoc mentioned above. The Maximum supported memory for this system is 512MB. You need two 256 MB Memory Modules for a Dell OptiPlex GX150 Series System.
Dell Part# A0743641

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.