i have a celeron D 3.0 ghz which i dont want to change now but maybe later could i just take the heat sink of take the celeron out and pop a new processor in? or do i need a new mother board?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unless you want a processor of a different socket type, you don't need to change the motherboard when doing a cpu upgrade.

What you do need to do though is make sure the cpu you want to upgrade to is compatible with your current motherboard. If it isn't, you'll need to look for a motherboard that is.

Unless you want a processor of a different socket type, you don't need to change the motherboard when doing a cpu upgrade.

What you do need to do though is make sure the cpu you want to upgrade to is compatible with your current motherboard. If it isn't, you'll need to look for a motherboard that is.

cool so aslong as its the intel socket i can change it.
do i need to format when i do this and
does the duo core fit in the 775 socket or watever the p4s and celerons go in?

No, you don't need to format. Since you didn't list what brand/model motherboard you have, I suggest researching the motherboard on the manufacturers website to find out what socket it is.

I forgot to add in my previous post that when you're researching the motherboard you should also take a look at the cpu support list for it.

I forgot to add in my previous post that when you're researching the motherboard you should also take a look at the cpu support list for it.

yes its a PM8PM-V (makes no sense to me) its maker is MSI and the info only says it supports pentium four celeron and celeron D
but its a bit old it has agp slot and cost me about 100 buks because when i built my comp i was really unknowing and thought a motherboard is a motherboard kinda lucking i got the right cpu...

its a socket 775 aswell

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.