Anyone have an idea of what I missed here?

I have Pentium 2 - 233MMX system
512RAM, Asus P2L97 Motherboard.

It had a 2.1 GB Maxtor HD with Windows 95 on it, but I have replaced it with a fujitsu 8.1 GB HD (from my Server System - so it works), and now the hard drive won't boot.

The system goes through POST, and looks like it is about to boot into windows startup, but nothing. No error. Just stalls with the Hardware CMOS List and a blinking cursor.

I can boot from the CD, and Windows 2000 can see the drive, format it, and copy the setup files for installation to it, but on reboot there is no booting from the hard drive?

Is there an issue with the hardware? That is my assumption, but what could it be.... GB limit for Hard Drive?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

so did you go into bios and audo detect harddrive older computers need to do ths .

that would be my best guess, you didnt update your bios settings so the pc is not decting the hd to boot from it as it still thinks its the older hd

that would be my best guess, you didnt update your bios settings so the pc is not decting the hd to boot from it as it still thinks its the older hd

Actually, you don't have to enter the BIOS for the system to recognize a new drive, if the setting for that channel/primary:secondary is set to Auto. That's the default setting for all systems.

In a perfect World !

In a perfect World !

:lol:

It's the default setting for most BIOS' though!

not from more than a few years ago, alot of OLD pcs didnt have this :) enabled by default

Some older motherboards cannot see large HDD'a try
breaking up into smaller 2GB partitions that should help

I had no choice but to use a 4GB main drive instead of the 7 GB. I was unable to update the bios. Bios Flash Memory was not recognized by the ASUS Flash Program.

Thanks for the help anyway folks.

did you go int the bios and do a detect hard drive .

Yes, but that was not the problem...per say....it was not being detected exactly at the correct size!

You'll have to elaborate on that point ! just what is the right time .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.