Hello all. It's my first post here and the main reason I joined after using this resource to help fix a couple of other different issues. Thanks for your help in the past.

I'll try to be as complete as possible with the description of my problem. This machine is running win98se + IE6.02 with all current security patches and updates... except... read further. It also runs a 'trimmed down' version of sql7 as a visa authorization tool for a small subscription service which is the main reason I don't want to just completely reinstall everything as the personal data entry would be a serious pain in the butt.

After finding a number of spywares installed including "bridge", "webhancer", "wupdate", "keyhost", "version", "incfin~1" and "sahagent", and removing them with adware, spywarecleaner, spybot s+d, and deleting entries and .exe's/dll's using regcleaner and hijack in conjunction with a "blacklist" of programs, I no longer have internet access. I'm guessing it's because I accidentally deleted a necessary file. The Hijack scan log looks clean and no processes show running or in the way.

Some clues:
* For a while, outlook was working while IE wouldn't. I believe it was after one reboot that it, as well, stopped. This could mean a file which directs these programs got removed (possibly a .dll) as outlook had already "got its instructions".

* This problem also affects a terminal emulator called Softerm Plus which I use to connect to a UNIX server. The error message I receive when I try to connect is "Unable to open TCP/IP socket".

* IE returns the "This page cannot be displayed" error page which is a standard "cannot find server or DNS error" from IE.

* I've reinstalled the network card and all appropriate protocols, and I can ping everything I need. I can ping the proxy server I use for internet access, and I can transfer programs off of my file server (which is how I got "hijack installed) so there is no network specific error.

* I have a TCP/IP - networked printer which it cannot find, but it finds a MS printshared printer just nicely.

* I've reinstalled windows 98se over the top and it has han no effect. (so the patches may no longer be there)

* I've deleted as much of IE6 as I could through regedit in order to reinstall IE6, as it would not allow me to "uninstall" IE6. It also reinstalled nicely over the top, yet still no change. (and, again the upgrade my no longer apply)

Is TCP/IP working for complete files not for data streams? Any ideas of what is going on? What file is missing? Is there a socket repair kit or tester available.

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

After finding a number of spywares installed including "bridge", "webhancer", "wupdate", "keyhost", "version", "incfin~1" and "sahagent", and removing them with adware, spywarecleaner, spybot s+d, and deleting entries and .exe's/dll's using regcleaner and hijack in conjunction with a "blacklist" of programs, I no longer have internet access. I'm guessing it's because I accidentally deleted a necessary file. The Hijack scan log looks clean and no processes show running or in the way.

One of your likely bits of malware replaced part of your Winsock chain with its own stuff. When you removed it, you "broke the chain". Here is the link to LSPFix, which should help.

Thank you TallCool1. It worked! And here's the process order...

* Run LSPfix.
* Delete all Dial-up adapters and network protcols.
* Delete all Winsock and Winsock2 registry folders.
* Under Add/Remove programs uncheck all of the listings under Communications.
* Reboot and then add back ALL the Communications items (although netmeeting and chat weren't necessary) It didn't work for me the first time as I have no need for a dial-up adapter, but it is the only way to get windows to add back winsock2.
* Reinstall network protcol settings.

Thanks again... another day saved! :D (literally a couple of days of work)

peace

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.