OK, my question is, is this recoverable.
my mate was doing some very heavy 3d processing work on his pc, and left it over night to do the job. When he wakes in the morning he has the blue screen of death. He trys restarting, but it will only get so before just grounding to a halt while starting up. I suspect that the fan he got with the processor wasnt good enough when he tells me this, because i think it must be over heating. (Inside of case is really hot despite 4 fans moveing the air) So on the phone I ask him to take off the fan to have a look at the heat transfer cream. Thing is, when he takes the fan of, the cream forms a suction cup or something between the fan and the cpu, so he rips the cpu off the motherboard.

So we now have slightly toasted cup which has also been ripped out of the motherboard. At this point I told him to put everything down and dont do anything. and definatly dont touch the damn thing.

So, after all this, what are the chances of everything working? (Only ask coz hes got a deadline blah blah blah, want to see if i should by replacement parts now or not).

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your just going to have to look at the extent of the damage done to the socket the processor goes in. If the processor is indeed toast, then you will have to get a new processor, and most likely a heavier duty fan. But I would start by looking at the damage of the socket, if you can move it back and forth and lock it down, it might be ok.

Member Avatar for szukalski

I've ripped the cpu out of it's socket like this before myself, it should be alright as long as no pins are bent/broken. Unlock the socket, then put the cpu back in.
If the cpu is indeed toast, it won't matter any which way. Is there visible proof of burn on the cpu or socket?

I've ripped the cpu out of it's socket like this before myself, it should be alright as long as no pins are bent/broken. Unlock the socket, then put the cpu back in.
If the cpu is indeed toast, it won't matter any which way. Is there visible proof of burn on the cpu or socket?

no,none at all. cheers guys for the professional oppinions, I wont buy a new processor before going down there now :)

Not that unusual...
Just slide it off the heatsink.
Check for bent pins
Apply new grease, lift the arm and re-inistall the cpu

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.